Engine IGNITION COIL

Renchy

Threads
Well installed new coil and still no fire, yes I grounded it! I guess its on to the distributor. Any suggestions would be great.

Richie F

Threads
First off, what machine ?
If you normally ground a coil you won't have spark at all on a mower.
What distributor are you talking about ?

Renchy

Threads
First off, what machine ?
If you normally ground a coil you won't have spark at all on a mower.
What distributor are you talking about ?
Hey Richie, please review post #6-10 and those earlier to get caught up, this will answer your question.

Richie F

Threads
Hey Richie, please review post #6-10 and those earlier to get caught up, this will answer your question.

Sorry for my mistake.
Didn't take notice this is page 2.

Renchy

Threads
Sorry for my mistake.
Didn't take notice this is page 2.
No problems, took coil wires off, distributor cap and checked for shorts found none in wires, cap and coil still checks out. So how do you check the distributor ignition module anyone?
Additional info; When mower died it was running and I had just finished mowing and was hooking up the lawn sweeper to pick up.

Richie F

Threads
So how do you check the distributor ignition module anyone?

Can you give the part number of the ignition module and maybe a brand name ?
If it's a printed circuit design the only way I know is to replace it with a good known part and see what happens.

Renchy

Threads
If it's a printed circuit design the only way I know is to replace it with a good known part and see what happens.
Ahhhhhhh! That's where it gets sticky as so far no one and research has shown no body gives up the info on how to, so it's on going will try to keep you all informed.

Renchy

Threads
Update: Tested distributor ignition for operational signal to coil and got nothing so am replacing entire distributor & plug wires. The electronic ignition pickup itself cost just as much as a new distributor w/ new rotor, cap & ignition components. Added plug wires into the mix as all of the components are original 17years old. Let ya know what happens.

Renchy

Threads
Update: Tested distributor ignition for operational signal to coil and got nothing so am replacing entire distributor & plug wires. The electronic ignition pickup itself cost just as much as a new distributor w/ new rotor, cap & ignition components. Added plug wires into the mix as all of the components are original 17years old. Let ya know what happens.
All right final update to ignition problem. Have installed new distributor w/ new ignition pickups, new cap, new plug wires put it all back together and she started right up ran for about 10 minutes, stopped to reinstall all of the other stuff (covers) and started her back up no problems checked timing all good for another 17years. Biggest complaint I have is that where I live there's no GH dealer around for 200 miles.