Engine IGNITION COIL

reevesjo

Threads
725 Grasshopper with WG752-EU2 Kubota gas engine. It is a 2014 year model that I bought new in 2016. Ran fine till 5/15/2015 (9 years) when the ignition coil failed. I paid $112 for a new KU1120 coil from a Grasshopper dealer. It lasted 2 months. I bought another new one, this time on the internet for $29. It just failed today after 10 months. Now what do I do?? Anyone else having this problem??

reevesjo

Threads
Correction: It is a 2004 year model bought new in 2006. My fingers didn't obey my feeble brain. The Grasshopper tech called me and said I should have returned the replacement coil that only lasted 2 months as a warranty problem. Too late for that. I will start over in the morning and cough up another $112 and see what happens.

173abn

Threads
good luck.hope the new one lasts longer...russ

reevesjo

Threads
After a long talk with the mechanic at the Grasshopper Dealer, he suggested a "bad ground". He said the more recent powder coating on the coil cases, instead of the older lead based paint, prevented a good ground. He said this contributes to more internal heat and causes the lacquer coated secondary wires to short out. I did have an "open" secondary circuit. I bit the dust and bought another $112 coil, scraped the paint between the coil case and mounting clamp and the engine started on the first revolution. I mowed for three hours with no problem. I had also talked to a rep at the Grasshopper Factory. He said one alternative would be to replace the ignitor $300+ or perhaps the whole distributor $400+. He said the coil is a non-resistor model. I think a stronger & cheaper coil should be available from NAPA or some other supplier. I love my Grasshopper 725, but hate their Denso ignition coils.

577jersey

Threads
Most if not all the electrical components on these mowers are being made over seas....soooooo....it is what it is.
Poor,cheap,electrical components.

Take that one up with Bill Clinton.

Renchy

Threads
After a long talk with the mechanic at the Grasshopper Dealer, he suggested a "bad ground". He said the more recent powder coating on the coil cases, instead of the older lead based paint, prevented a good ground. He said this contributes to more internal heat and causes the lacquer coated secondary wires to short out. I did have an "open" secondary circuit. I bit the dust and bought another $112 coil, scraped the paint between the coil case and mounting clamp and the engine started on the first revolution. I mowed for three hours with no problem. I had also talked to a rep at the Grasshopper Factory. He said one alternative would be to replace the ignitor $300+ or perhaps the whole distributor $400+. He said the coil is a non-resistor model. I think a stronger & cheaper coil should be available from NAPA or some other supplier. I love my Grasshopper 725, but hate their Denso ignition coils.
Hello, I see that you posted this 2016, are you still having coil problems? Have you inspected the distributor or replaced? I am currently having the same issues (04 GH w/Kubota gas WG752E2) put a new oil filled chrome coil in and the mower ran great about 2 months than died again today, no spark at coil. Will order a new coil today and see if the grounding helps.

reevesjo

Threads
Hi Renchy,
I didn't think the coil depended on external grounding, BUT, I didn't want to continue buying expensive coils, so I did as he instructed by scraping off the powder coating at the clamp area. So, he must have been right, because the new coil is working fine. I love this Grasshopper. It is now 14 years old and no belts have been replaced; just new mulching blades.
Joe

Mower King

Threads
Hi Renchy,
I didn't think the coil depended on external grounding, BUT, I didn't want to continue buying expensive coils, so I did as he instructed by scraping off the powder coating at the clamp area. So, he must have been right, because the new coil is working fine. I love this Grasshopper. It is now 14 years old and no belts have been replaced; just new mulching blades.
Joe
Oh yes...coils must be grounded to work...as are some voltage regulators also!

reevesjo

Threads
O.K. mower king. I am a believer. I should have known. I worked at Delco Remy for 37 years; most of the time building cranking motors.

Renchy

Threads
Hi Renchy,
Joe
Ok, thanks guys for responding to my question, I'll make sure I ground the new one. Now the coil I installed was an oil filled automotive coil chromed ( thought chroming was a ground ) where the original coil was OEM, but upon bench testing both coils the ohms matched spec what's up? Is there an ignition module in the distributor cap w/rotor? Bought this old girl used w/735hrs.in 2019, been having this problem on & off since so its a long time tracking this down. But just like you I love this mower for being able to mow 2 + acres figure I'll just keep her so here I am working @ not spending more but by asking how & why, Thanks.