If you PCV is clogged

hrdman2luv

Threads
Did you happen to cut grass on a slope?

I'm trying to think what was going on when I got it. I remember I had trouble with the carb. Got that fixed. Then the seat safety switch. But it seems like it's always smoked since I got it (used).

It's probably rings. But I wanna go through everything before I get that deep into it. Would hate to change the rings, and it still smoke.

stretch5881

Threads
It could be rings, but if it's alot of white smoke, my bet would be a head gasket.

hrdman2luv

Threads
It could be rings, but if it's alot of white smoke, my bet would be a head gasket.

Would there be a difference in the two spark plugs if one head gasket was bad? Or some tale tale signs of which one it could be?

stretch5881

Threads
I don't believe so. When a head gasket fails, it pressurizes the crankcase pushing oil past the rings on both cylinders.
A compression test would show which one failed.

hrdman2luv

Threads
I don't believe so. When a head gasket fails, it pressurizes the crankcase pushing oil past the rings on both cylinders.
A compression test would show which one failed.

I've got a compression tester. I'm just guessing, but the one with the least amount of compression, would be the suspect, right? Also, if the crankcase is pressurized, wouldn't the PCV come into play?

stretch5881

Threads
If the compression is low on one cylinder, I would pull that valve cover and watch for a mist blowing in by the pushrods.
The vent may be working and letting the pressure out, through the vent tube and into the carburetor.