Export thread

IDLER PULLEY REMOVAL

G

GETCLOSE

Hellow fellow Hustlers.... I am restoring my deck on my Hustler 54 SD Raptor, I want to remove the idler pulley. I thought it would be a simple remove the nut and pull the pulley up but mine seem to be pressed on. Is this correct? Any advise on how to remove the 2 idler pulleys would be a great help before I break something.
Regards,
Paul aka Get Close Outdoors

The Chairman

The Chairman

I have a 60" raptor, and I just unbolted the pulleys. You can't get the bearings out of the pulleys since the two halves of the pullies are spot welded together to trap the bearings. I guess you could drill the welds and then use bolts to hold them back together, but that's a lot of work compared to what the bearing/pulley assembly costs.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

The welded pulleys and not made to have the bearings replaced. Unless a new pulley is a lot of money i would just get a new one.

B

bertsmobile1

As the others have said already.
I have done it before and probably will have to do it again to get pulleys that are NLA or will take 3 months to get here.
A center drill works best then in mu case some bolts & some welds tool over 3 hours but the customer was happy to pay that.
I have a big box of good pulleys with bad bearings that I delude myself I will replace the bearings in when I get the spot welder working again.

The Chairman

The Chairman

The pulleys from my dealer were pretty reasonable. Silence is golden. :D

B

bertsmobile1

Common ones are fine as I can get them aftermarket through my wholesalers
But deck idlers can go over $ 200 down here because of exclusive franchise agreements .
Bad Boy, Dixie Choppers, to name a few that have deck idlers all over $ 100 retail .

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I replaced some on a kubota ZTR. Had to get them retail from a dealer. OUCH! Hate to see what they would cost in the land of OZ

StarTech

StarTech

May just be rust galled in place screws (bolts). These mowers do sit out in the rain and some owner wash their decks off.