I won’t stay running when engaging PTO

Sparty77

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a super LT 1554 and I have a good battery but it will not start if I hook the jumper pack to it it starts and runs my voltage is showing 17 and if I call for the PTO it will stall after tries to engage. Also it doesn’t even crank unless the jumper pack is hooked up but you can hear a small click from the starter and my little dash screen will kind of flicker and fade unless it is running or when I hooked a jump per pack up

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove battery & take to auto parts store for load test, remember to wear Safety Glasses & gloves. Engine must be at Full Throttle every time you engage PTO. Your battery is an accident waiting to happen if showing 17 volts on multimeter. Remove negative cable first to break ground then positive cable. Have a Fire Extinguisher handy & place battery in bed of pickup not inside a car, may explode.
Click above for Service Manual.
Remove deck & adjust clutch air gap to .012 with feeler gauge at 3 windows. Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

Last edited:

Sparty77

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remove battery & take to auto parts store for load test, remember to wear Safety Glasses & gloves. Engine must be at Full Throttle every time you engage PTO. Your battery is an accident waiting to happen if showing 17 volts on multimeter. Remove negative cable first to break ground then positive cable. Have a Fire Extinguisher handy & place battery in bed of pickup not inside a car, may explode.
Click above for Service Manual.already did that

Sparty77

Forum Newbie
Threads
Click above for Service Manual.
Already did that any other option

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Already did that any other option
1.Did the battery pass a load test? If not replace battery with one that has passed a load test.
2.Starter solenoid should be replaced when the starter is replaced.
3.+ and - cables need to be pristine as well as their mounting points.
4.Heavy gauge wire and star grounding washers are a must.
5.Little dielectric grease to slow down some corrosion too.
6.Test starting circuit under load, for voltage drops. + and - sides.

Sparty77

Forum Newbie
Threads
1.Did the battery pass a load test? If not replace battery with one that has passed a load test.
2.Starter solenoid should be replaced when the starter is replaced.
3.+ and - cables need to be pristine as well as their mounting points.
4.Heavy gauge wire and star grounding washers are a must.
5.Little dielectric grease to slow down some corrosion too.
6.Test starting circuit under load, for voltage drops. + and - sides.
Could it be the starter

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could it be the starter
Could be several items. Not reading you are taking our advice and testing out a few things.

Have you done anything on my list?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a good battery but it will not start
Doesn't make sense. Has the battery been load tested?
if I hook the jumper pack to it it starts and runs
Tells me your battery is dead.
my voltage is showing 17
Your battery is cooked. Need to see if your machine has a voltage regulator is simple diodes. 17 VDC is too much DC voltage for a lawn battery.
if I call for the PTO it will stall after tries to engage.
Something in the PTO is dogging down the engine. Either PTO, belts and or pulley bearings locked up. Look under the deck for bailing wire, log chains, pulleys not turning....
Also it doesn’t even crank unless the jumper pack is hooked up but you can hear a small click from the starter and my little dash screen will kind of flicker and fade unless it is running or when I hooked a jump per pack up
Again a toasted battery with jelly on top.