I think I have an interesting issue…

Maussimo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Attempting to bring back to life a 20 year old Troy-Bilt walk behind mower. It has a Briggs engine, number 2158070274e1. Cover says it’s a 9HP I/C. Got the engine up and running, and unbeknownst to me a magnet had come off the flywheel, and bent the stator already installed. I JB welded the magnet back into place, but I did NOT know that when the magnet came off it had bent and mishaped the current stator a bit, and when I tried to start it back up, the flywheel magnet(s) hit the stator and tore it up, as well as breaking one of the mounting towers leaving me with a hole in the crankcase. Again I JB welded the mount tower back into place, but it’s a hair askew, and I am not sure if the stator will hit the new (used) flywheel I have purchased for it. Here’s the interesting part: I know that this engine has 3-4 options for stators/alternators, with some of them being a full circle/ring shape (mine is the single circuit, red wire with diode, half circle kind). I have 4 mounting towers under the flywheel for the 4 screw mount full circle stators. Can I ignore the other two towers on the other side that’s damaged from the magnet hitting the stator and mount the new half circle stator on the 2 undamaged towers on the other side close to the carb? As long as the magnets go past the stator, it should charge right? It shouldn’t affect timing or spark because I’m doing anything related to the coil or timing. Does anyone see any issue with doing this? Also, on a side note, if I can’t do this, and I bypass having a stator altogether, but I still use the battery to start it, there’s no issue with this, right? As long as I trickle charge the battery every couple of weeks and bring it inside for the winter and trickle it?
thanks in advance for any thoughts and ideas!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think you will be fine moving the half stator to the other two towers. I don't think the engine is going to care where the stator is mounted. Just have to make sure that the wires will clear the flywheel in the alternate position. And an engine that old won't have a fuel solenoid on then carb, so the only purpose of the battery is to start since it doesn't have to run anything. Having the battery on a charger between runs won't hurt the engine, and if you keep the battery recharged between uses should be fine for the battery.

Maussimo

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is the answer I was hoping for!

thank you for your input!