i think i am missing something with the governor....20hp intek v twin

oldntired55

Threads
  • / i think i am missing something with the governor....20hp intek v twin
Well, i guess it is time to pull the engine a 3rd time... after getting a new governor gear assy, gasket and gov seal. i checked and rechecked everything i can see with the governor... put the sump back on, set governor , held at full throttle with a cheater wire, turned shaft clockwise till it stopped... tightened nut on governor arm...put the engine back in, still FULL throttle, no governor control whatsoever, i even took off the idle speed spring... no help.... this is getting to the end of my rope. i will take a look in the morning and make sure the new gear is ok. any suggestions will be appreciated.

oldntired55

Threads
Well, i guess it is time to pull the engine a 3rd time... after getting a new governor gear assy, gasket and gov seal. i checked and rechecked everything i can see with the governor... put the sump back on, set governor , held at full throttle with a cheater wire, turned shaft clockwise till it stopped... tightened nut on governor arm...put the engine back in, still FULL throttle, no governor control whatsoever, i even took off the idle speed spring... no help.... this is getting to the end of my rope. i will take a look in the morning and make sure the new gear is ok. any suggestions will be appreciated.
i might also add, this was an engine swap for a knocking 18 hp one cylinder. twin eng model 407777-0128-E1

oldntired55

Threads
Double check your adjustment following the procedure in this service manual. https://www.briggs-stratton.cz/nahradni-dily-bas/pdf/prirucka-2valcove-intek.pdf
thanks for the info... according to THIS instruction, they are rotating the "control" (round piece). at full throttle. im assuming with some tension on governor spring. they are NOT holding the governor arm at full throttle... maybe i better try this way first... i checked and double checked the new governor gear, it is locked down with the little circlip, and, i can feel the governor shaft stop against the plunger... i even removed the idle speed spring, just to be sure that wasn't pulling it full throttle. ill give it one more shot... there is absolutely NO governor action pulling that arm...

oldntired55

Threads
thanks for the info... according to THIS instruction, they are rotating the "control" (round piece). at full throttle. im assuming with some tension on governor spring. they are NOT holding the governor arm at full throttle... maybe i better try this way first... i checked and double checked the new governor gear, it is locked down with the little circlip, and, i can feel the governor shaft stop against the plunger... i even removed the idle speed spring, just to be sure that wasn't pulling it full throttle. ill give it one more shot... there is absolutely NO governor action pulling that arm...
Double check your adjustment following the procedure in this service manual. https://www.briggs-stratton.cz/nahradni-dily-bas/pdf/prirucka-2valcove-intek.pdf
and thanks again for the link to manual... this will help me not go 'blind' into assembly. if this engine hits max rpm one more time, i may be throwing it on the scrap heap.

oldntired55

Threads
and thanks again for the link to manual... this will help me not go 'blind' into assembly. if this engine hits max rpm one more time, i may be throwing it on the scrap heap.
the part that has me dumb founded, is this engine ran fine, although it had the rpm hunting before it went full throttle the first time... i just don't see, what changed...maybe ill find it when i tear it down