I take it that Briggs and Stratton is Recommending the Synthetic 5W-30 am I correct?

RoofTopPigeon

Threads
  • / I take it that Briggs and Stratton is Recommending the Synthetic 5W-30 am I correct?
I take it that; Briggs and Stratton is
Recommending the
Synthetic 5W-30; am I correct?

as this chart was included in my owner's Manual to my mower

With the manual specifying the (2) stipulations Below:
1.)*Using an SAE-30 in outside temps. below 40ºF can result in hard Starting.
2.)*Using an 10W-30 in outside temps above 80ºF can result in increased oil consumption.

oil chart.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / I take it that Briggs and Stratton is Recommending the Synthetic 5W-30 am I correct?
You have read your manual correctly.
SAE 30 oil , like any other liquid will get thicker as it gets colder and thinner as it gets hotter.
Too thick and you get too much resistance so it is harder to turn the engine over fast enough to start it.
At the other end it gets to thin to maintain a seal and gets burned or dribbles out past seals

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Absolutely correct, follow B&S engine manual recommendations.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use synthetic so do not take this wrong. The picture they provided is incorrect. Any oil rated 5w30 will cover the same temperature ranges synthetic or not.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use synthetic so do not take this wrong. The picture they provided is incorrect. Any oil rated 5w30 will cover the same temperature ranges synthetic or not.

I agree with that.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It doesn't matter if such and such grade of oil will cover the same range as synthetic, it is what they are recommending at this time, and any oil outside that recommendation can be grounds for voiding a warranty. It wasn't that long ago that Kohler didn't recommend the use of any synthetic, that when they did, it was only for use below 40 degrees F.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can remember back in late 90's when Harley Davidson would threaten the same thing. But only because they did not have their own Synthetic oil to sell.. That changed quick tho.