i need help hooking up governor spring for B&S 14D937-0101-G1

keakar

Threads
  • / i need help hooking up governor spring for B&S 14D937-0101-G1
This is a 223cc engine with 10ft lbs of torque. Would make a monster push mower engine.

Snapper RER's in 28" normally are 10hp, 30" say 12'ish and the big 33" deck is 14.5hp-16 ish. My 33" Snapper has a 14.5hp 400 something cc Briggs.

The pic below, that engine doesn't belong on a RER.
well the older 25" mowers came with the B&S 8hp
the 28" had the B&S 10hp and the 30" often had the kohler 13.5hp

on the newer mowers now they are almost exclusively 28" with B&S 11.5hp and i have two of the 33" and one has the B&S 12.5hp and the other has the B&S 11.5hp

i was thinking too that its not right so i double checked everything and its the original motor for that mower according to the model numbers and it comes with a special mounting plate for that motor to foit it so its not jery rigged its oem. a 28" isnt that different then a push mower and its direct drive off of axle so while it seems small it has no issues doing its job

keakar

Threads
i have the governor spring and it seems to work good now but the engine starts and runs for about 20-25 seconds then just dies

im assuming its a fuel issue with a stuck float so i will have to pull it apart to clean it

only thing im not sure of is if the throttle connected to operating the thermostat choke in any way at all on this engine in case its a sticking choke issue?

this is a push mower designed engine and i never worked on any small push mower engines like this before

it has the part number 291A theromstat operated choke system is all i know

Last edited:

keakar

Threads
ok i found a video that shows my setup and explained how it all works off the muffler temp and how it should move

so now i know that the throttle can be all the way forward on these engines without worrying about it applying the choke at all

this is the video showing how they work in case anyone is curious about it, jump forward to the 2:00 time mark

Last edited:

keakar

Threads
ok i found a video that shows my setup and explained how it all works off the muffler temp and how it should move

so now i know that the throttle can be all the way forward on these engines without worrying about it applying the choke at all

this is the video showing how they work in case anyone is curious about it, jump forward to the 2:00 time mark
well i got the carb cleaned out. the carb was clean enough to eat out of, but there was a piece of grass like trash in the fuel inlet tube just before the float needle clogging it up. after it was all cleaned out and i tested it, i was shocked just how little flow there is in those tiny jets. blowing into the fuel nipple you can barely feel it allowing any flow at all so this small motor must hardly burn any gas at all

then i noticed something with how the choke linkage works wasnt acting right.

i put it back the same way it was before, but apparently the guy i got the mower from, must not have known anything about how the auto choke stuff worked either.

he had the choke lever set up on the wrong side behind the choke arm where the green line is instead of where it should be on the pink arrow side. so the way he had it, it would never function to push the choke butterfly open.

any way its running good now like it should and i just need to swap out the two flat front tires and put a new drive disk on it and then its ready to sell

Attachments

• choke linkage.jpg
    choke linkage.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: