I need an exploded view of a Stihl 024 chainsaw

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
DSCN6250.jpg

Here is a pic of one with the trigger/rod area exposed, I cannot imagine how yours could be hooked up. Can you snap a pic?

hairyapple

Threads
good photo

Okay, this is helpful, I can see the actuator rod is attached to the bottom end of what I am going to call the bell crank, the side with the hole in it. That makes perfect sense. The other end of the bell crank is bent to contact the idle screw. I can't see how this happens from the photo but it must. When you pull on your trigger the rod moves forward openning the throttle, that's what is supposed to happen.

On my saw the end of the bell crank with the hole for the actuator rod is on top, the bend on the bottom. This creates 2 problems, one is that the position of the rod is raised up too high and is interrferred with by the air cleaner, when the ac is in place. two-as one squeezes the trigger the actuator rod is moved forward closing the throttle rather than opening it. This is clear to me and realize these are the issues.

However, I did not dismantle or reposition the throttle plate so it in effect would work in reverse to it's design. The throttle plate is either slightly larger than the venturi opening, at least in one direction or is somehow restricted from just spinning in the venturi opening, so the idea that it could have repositioned itself seems against my thinking.

Maybe I'm wrong, it looks that way from your photo, maybe it just flipped over during dis-assembly without my realizing it! Stranger things have happened. I can't look at it now, because it's in the shop, my frustration level peaked out and I just took it in. The saw arrived there all cleaned out and partly dis-assembled so it won't take a service guy more than 10 minutes to fix my blunder, I hope. I guess we'll see.

Thanks for your continues interest in my problem and I'll let you know where I screwed this up when I get it back.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is the only thing that I could figure, that someone had the throttle plate out, and had it on the wrong side.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Or the carb was put on upside down.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
can only go in one way, otherwise H/L screws and Idle screw would not line up with the holes in the shroud useed to access them. Niether would the gas intake or vacuum line.
I did not take out the butterfly valve. The choke is incorporated in the air filter.

Yeah, I assumed from this statement that he did not remove the throttle plate, which was what was confusing, as we only have the
info here to go on.... I go to great lengths to help folks here, but I have yet to do web searches to read their threads on other forums, maybe I need to start, but I already have enough folks HERE that hate me.......

hairyapple

Threads
no hate here

No hate here don't worry about that. I'm almost convinced now, especially after seeing the photo, that that somehow the throttle plate was inverted, meaning the bell crank should have been and must be able to be turned 180 degrees without removing it from the carburetor's body. It's the only explanation that makes any sense. As I took it apart, never having taken it apart before, I tried to remove the carb BEFORE I dismantled the handle and trigger, when I did that the carb almost fell out and the actuator rod disconnected as well. At that point the bell crank was positioned with the hole up on top and I assumed that was how it was meant to be. It looked right and I had no reason to think otherwise. We'll see when I get it back.

hairyapple

Threads
Thank You Note

I appreciate all the responses to my thread and have been remiss in not getting back to you all . The problem with my throttle was just that I should have flipped the butterfly over so that the throttle rod was on the bottom as shown in the photo.
I just didn't see how that could be as the butterfly's normal resting position was 180 degrees away from where it needed to be. Oh well, it tokk the mechanic about 6 minutes to fix the problem. We also changed out the gas and impulse lines, new plug along with the intank filter. She's running great now. Could use a new chain or two and we'll start out 31st year in style.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Appreciate the feed back..:thumbsup: