hydro tranny are there any differences

keakar

Threads
i have a bad hydro tranny with the pedal drive and i have a parts mower with the hand lever drive

are these the same trannys that will just swap out or does the hand drive hydro have different connecting points for things?

i know mtd single speeds are all the same no matter the model numbers differ and john deeres swap the brakes to the left side to make them different then everything else, but how universally interchangeable are the hydro trannys when one is a hand drive version and the other is a pedal drive version as long as you stick to the same brand of mower?

keakar

Threads
so no one knows if the same transmissions are used for push handle to go hydro tranny and the press pedal to go hydro trannys?

i get there may be brand or model number differences but will they hook up the same so they can swap out is all i need to know

Mower King

Threads
i have a bad hydro tranny with the pedal drive and i have a parts mower with the hand lever drive

are these the same trannys that will just swap out or does the hand drive hydro have different connecting points for things?

i know mtd single speeds are all the same no matter the model numbers differ and john deeres swap the brakes to the left side to make them different then everything else, but how universally interchangeable are the hydro trannys when one is a hand drive version and the other is a pedal drive version as long as you stick to the same brand of mower?
I would say they are different but.....the best way without knowing for sure, is to look at them and compare!

gainestruk

Threads
You will need to see if the peddle drive will hook up to the hydro, you might need to take bracket off old hydro to see if you can go directly to the hand use one, if there is no bolts on hand use one to hook bracket to the peddle drive it probley won't work without major surgery to it.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Absolutely yes, call the Manufacturer at their number & ask for Tech Support.
Call TUFFTORQ at 1-423-585-2000 from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday thru Friday.

Last edited:

keakar

Threads
You will need to see if the peddle drive will hook up to the hydro, you might need to take bracket off old hydro to see if you can go directly to the hand use one, if there is no bolts on hand use one to hook bracket to the peddle drive it probley won't work without major surgery to it.
thats what im asking about, i have about a dozen mowers that all need this or that and im trying to formulate a plan to strip half for parts and try to get the other half working again. im just not sure if the parts will fit between pedal vs hand operated styles. i have very little exposure to the hydro trannys or know much about how many different styles of them there are or if they are fairly generic to most mowers

the two trannys in question i am talking about are the TUFFTORQ K46AW and the TUFFTORQ K46BT if those will interchange or not

i dont have these mowers on site at the moment, and i dont have the time or space to haul them to my shop to compare them side by side so i was hoping to get some sort of answer here as to if i should schedule time to work on them as though i had a replacement tranny or not.

im working on the last few mowers i have sitting around for the season so i need to get things out as fast as i can and im trying to decide if these mowers are fixable by using one as a donor for the other.

Last edited:

keakar

Threads
oh well, no one here knows so i guess i will have to leave them for last when i have the time to compare them side by side

Mower King

Threads
oh well, no one here knows so i guess i will have to leave them for last when i have the time to compare them side by side
To compare them, you shouldn't need to remove them, just remove the battery (if it's under the seat) to gain top side viewing access and remove the tires & wheels for side view access....you should be able to see the drive pulley, all linkage and brake set-ups to see if they will interchange!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes we do know, it is called common sense, use your brain between your ears. What I believe you're asking for is called shade tree mechanics, not found on this website. Each & every tractor has a model & serial number with an illustrated parts list with specific parts for that tractor, so do your research.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would think the two TT hydros would bolt up and drive the same. Maybe a keyed vs splined axle shaft or the shifter arm might be extended different but you could swap parts and make those work. Different brands would probably be a hard swap.