Hydro Gear Oil filler adapter

phoneman44

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am trying to locate an adapter to screw into the drain plug port on a Hydro-Gear to refill with 2 quarts of gear oil after draining and changing the gear oil.
I am aware of the Hydro-Gear web site that offers the entire kit with filters and oil, but I prefer to use my own filters and oil choices for my zero-turn Gravely.
The Hydro-Gear model number is 72050 ZM-KEEE-3LEG-3ALX.

Thanks to any and all advice that can be provided.

Attachments

• hYDRO cROSS rEFERENCE NUMBERS.JPG
    hYDRO cROSS rEFERENCE NUMBERS.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 9

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
You drain the hydro by taking the filter off and fill it like MParr said. Some mowers have an expansion tank or tanks under the seats when you take the side plug out you can fill through the tank.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You drain the hydro by taking the filter off and fill it like MParr said. Some mowers have an expansion tank or tanks under the seats when you take the side plug out you can fill through the tank.
True! I completely forgot to mention the expansion tanks.
Some mowers don’t have expansion tanks. They have long vent hoses that are plumbed into the top plug. Just remove that hose and fitting and fill there.
Allow a little over 2 quarts of oil for each hydro. A 5 Qt. jug will give you plenty with a little left over.

phoneman44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all who replied to me.
I have another question relating to the same hydro gear: The O-ring Hydro gear part #52250 what is the recommended torque value for reinstalling this O-ring. I have at least one side that is leaking just a bit. According to the exploded picture of the gear itself this is #132 O-Ring size description -137. 103 X 2.050.

Thanks

I also found a part for filling the Hydro-Gear pumps and I am attaching it for everyone to see. I ordered it from hydro pumps parts.com

Attachments

• hydro gear oil inlet fitting.JPG
    hydro gear oil inlet fitting.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 6

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The charge pump (Georotor) cover screws are tighten to 100 – 130 lb-in (11.3 - 14.7 Nm). Now these covers can warp and leak per the info I was given as few years ago.

Also hopefully you mark it before removal as it is directional on these ZT-2800's

Also if you are a shop you would be better off ordering a pack of the dash 137 o-rings as the last pack I brought was $1.86 for 10 of course shipping has to be added. But I normal am ordering other parts at the same time so costs less per item. Also if you screw up an o-ring it less costly to replace.