Hydraulic System

Skippydiesel

Well-Known Member
I am, trying to resurrect a Hustler Super Z. Taking small steps as I don't want to invest too heavily, before knowing what the outcome will be.

I am nearly ready to test the hydraulic transmission. It had been leaking badly, so oil level is well below specified "1in from the top of the reservoir". There may not be sufficient oil in the reservoir to operate the transmission without cavitating.

I would like to top the reservoir up to the correct level but don't know what oil has been used. My (old) Operator Manual specifies "SAE 10W-40, SG, SF/CC, CD service motor oil". This is a very old specification - almost unavailable in Australia.

My intention is just to test the transmission works okay and then drain all the existing oil, replace the filter and refill with a suitable current oil - Hustler 15W-50 synthetic

Will it be okay to use any 10W - 40 mineral (or semi synthetic) engine oil for a short test run??? :devilish:
 
Back
Top