Hydraulic oil service overdue? Recommendations and best practice

1bbford

Threads
  • / Hydraulic oil service overdue? Recommendations and best practice
Hello, I currently have a 2009 Hustler Super Z with 495 hours, I purchased it from the previous homeowner in 2015, and he recommended the local dealer up the street. I continued to have them complete the annual services. Unfortunately, I have lost faith in them, and here is why (skip to the next paragraph for the questions). In the beginning, it was little things cupped washer on the blade flipped over, oil drain line leaking after service (they had a new guy), I was not really looking. Last year it went in for a service and discovered most of the grease fittings were missed, it was not washed (part of the service, missed it on my neighbor's mower as well). This year I informed them that I felt a vibration when I was in taller grass and asked them to look at the deck bearings. When I picked it up I was told the bearings were good they adjusted the chain tensioner on the deck. It was covered in muddy water and grass from when they tested it (lots of rain), the manager did notice this after it was loaded and asked me if I wanted it cleaned, I said I would detail it at home. He stated it was 2009 and asked me if I had thought about replacing it as he looked at the hours he added "never mind it's not even broken in". This reminded me to ask about the 500-hour hydro service and was informed they only change the filter, and not the oil. I did not question this because I have had mowers in the past and was told by the dealer it was best to leave the system sealed. While I was cleaning it I noticed several grease fittings were missed again (covered in grim and several needed to be replaced) and the drive belt was just about ready to break. When I went in to pay my bill (for most people they send out a bill at the end of the year), I informed the manager they missed most of the grease fittings again. He stated he is not in the shop with them much because he is in the office and they miss stuff! I then informed him the drive belt was about to break and nothing was said when I picked it up. He informed me they do not look for additional deficiencies to hit the customer with when they drop off for a service. I said I can understand nickel and diming someone to death but this was a no-brainer it was about to break and would have been stranded in the yard. He did not have a reply, but he did remove the half-hour labor charge to adjust the deck belt. About a month later 2 out of 4 hand nuts for the deck pully/belt covers fell off (I did clean and oil because they were sticking). However the next time I mowed I lost another one and the cover slid off, bringing a loud bearing noise from the left blade spindle. On further investigation, the left side bearings are shot (rocks back and forth with the belt on, and grinds like crazy with it off), both idler pullies are shot. I did not know about the spindle grease fittings under the deck, 2 were worn at a 45-degree angle and needed to be replaced, so who knows how long it had been.
I'm in the process of replacing the deck bearings, but my question is about the 500-hour service. I'm wondering if the 50-hour service was even done and with that being a good possibility how should I proceed? I have seen where some people change hydro oil every year, others at 500, I average about 40 hours per year. So do I, change oil and filter, just the filter, full drain or partial. Is this one simple to complete potential issues, oil recommendations, and how often going forward. Since I will be doing any and all work in the future any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

bkeller500

Threads
Take a look at a few YouTube video's on changing hydro fluid. The filters are readily available and cheap. The fluid ( see mfg recommendation) can be found at any AG store. If you plan to keep the unit awhile longer then change the fluid and filter and relax. It sounds like you may need to look for an alternate service center or consider doing it all yourself. Your unit does not have many hours on it but it that fluid is old.

DK35vince

Threads
My 2013 Super Z I changed the hydro fluid and filter at the recommended first 50 hours, and around every 300 hours there after.
Valve adjustment every 350 hours.
Engine oil and filter every year. (average 40-50 hours per year)
I wouldn't let your dealer touch my machine.
I do all my own maintenance so I know everything that needs done is getting done

Last edited:

1bbford

Threads
Take a look at a few YouTube video's on changing hydro fluid. The filters are readily available and cheap. The fluid ( see mfg recommendation) can be found at any AG store. If you plan to keep the unit awhile longer then change the fluid and filter and relax. It sounds like you may need to look for an alternate service center or consider doing it all yourself. Your unit does not have many hours on it but it that fluid is old.
Bkeller500 appreciate the response, the mower will stay as long as it lasts has one relay go bad, and now the deck bearings that I am replacing, and maintenance will be on me going forward.

1bbford

Threads
My 2013 Super Z I changed the hydro fluid and filter at the recommended first 50 hours, and around every 300 hours there after.
Valve adjustment every 350 hours.
Engine oil and filter every year. (average 40-50 hours per year)
I wouldn't let your dealer touch my machine.
I do all my own maintenance so I know everything that needs done is getting done
DK35vince Thank you for the comments, I had not thought of the valve adjustment but will take a look at that one as well..

DK35vince

Threads
DK35vince Thank you for the comments, I had not thought of the valve adjustment but will take a look at that one as well..
I pull the spark plugs to do the valve adjustment (easier to turn the engine over and check for top dead center)
So I throw in a new set of plugs at each valve adjustment

dlgg7

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have to say, surprised your deck bearings are gone, also both idlers. My super Z is 17years old, replaced maybe 2 idlers in that time, haven't had to do anything w/deck spindles yet. If I had a bad one, I'd just replace all 3 at one time. I actually replace my hydro filter and oil every-other year in the spring when I get it ready, I use Amsoil, new plugs, engine oil and filter. Haven't had mine back to the dealer since I bought it new.

1bbford

Threads
I pull the spark plugs to do the valve adjustment (easier to turn the engine over and check for top dead center)
So I throw in a new set of plugs at each valve adjustment
Will do Thank you

1bbford

Threads
Have to say, surprised your deck bearings are gone, also both idlers. My super Z is 17years old, replaced maybe 2 idlers in that time, haven't had to do anything w/deck spindles yet. If I had a bad one, I'd just replace all 3 at one time. I actually replace my hydro filter and oil every-other year in the spring when I get it ready, I use Amsoil, new plugs, engine oil and filter. Haven't had mine back to the dealer since I bought it new.
I was at first but I have had the mower from 2015 and I do not believe they have added grease once, and who knows how long before I got it, really disappointed in the quality of service, I had another dealer (a different brand) that did not have anything good to say about them (which surprised me) but now I understand why. I took my neighbor there because he was upgrading to a zero-turn, I had let him borrow mine on several occasions and I'm happy with the machine. The owner said he would call as soon as he had the mower in, and he never bothered to call, needless to say, I will not be back.