Hydraulic cap vented? ? ?

deamer1

Threads
Hi,
I have a Husqvarna zero turn mower which is a older model.
model 968999167
I.D. ZTHKW4218A

Is the cap on the Hydraulic tank vented?

When I use the mower...after quite some time...say two hours.
There is hydraulic fluid around the hydraulic tank cap, and running down to the top of the tank and deck. I'm wondering what is the cause of this? This is a brand new dealer furnished hydraulic tank cap.

Thanks for any help and ideas.

Deamer1.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The cap is vented.
Answer to what can cause this:
1 To much oil
2 Bad thread on oil container
3 Bad threads on new oil cap
4 Leak in oil lines spraying on area you found oil
5 Leak in pump spraying on area you found leak
6 leak in motor spraying on area you found leak

So without any more information from you this is all I can think of that could be causing the problem. You know like if it was doing it before you purchased the new cap.

deamer1

Threads
Hi Chuck,
I can't remember if the oil was there with the old cap. The cap was changed during last years mowing season and I hadn't used this mower this season until last week.
I appreciate all of your input concerning my situation, you've given me some ideas to investigate. One of the problems with this mower is that the Hydraulic fluid level is specified to be at a level down (from where I don't know.) in inches instead of the usual "quarts, pints, etc" I made up a measuring stick from a yardstick, and I measure from the top of the fill cap, but maybe I should compensate and adjust the measurement from the top of the tank...which would make this fluid level less. It could be that the fix is that simple.

As for the idea of having a bad thread on the tank and/or the new cap? Well I have to say my brain hadn't gone there yet! I will look at that also.

As for other leaks, I checked everything else out and find none.

I'll look at the fluid levels and the threads again and go from there.
Thanks again for your input.

Deamer1

deamer1

Threads
I inspected the new cap threads...they appeared to be good. Cleaning them and the tank threads didn't do anything, but when I cleaned them the second time and added some Teflon tape to the the tank threads, the majority of the leak stopped. There is a minute amount of leak, more like a miniature spray which appears on the top of the cap at the vent, when the mower is run at full throttle. This may be normal, I don't know. It may also be caused by the tank being slightly over filled, which I haven't dealt with completely. (Mower's in the barn and the book was in the house...) I'll continue to pursue this, but I think I'm closing in on the problem. If the tank is too full, draining it down should cure the problem.

Thanks for your input.

Deamer1

Last edited: