Hustler Shortcut 1500

weedsnthorns

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, I know there are some old shortcut fans out there. I need a bit of help. I purchased a used 1500, 54" cut. It has a Kohler engine and runs strong. We test drove it for a good while before making the purchase and all was fine. When I was unloading it the deck got caught on the trailer. When I engaged the blade it seemed fine initially but sounds loud and off balance now. I'm by no means a lawn mower expert. We had one of these older machines where I work (I take care of plants more than grass) so I thought when I found this one that it would be a good mower for our small farm. I took it thru some thick stuff and it smelled like the belt was slipping and I disengaged it. No slippage was apparent. But, when I went to restart it later and engage it, it would not engage and stalled out while trying to do so. I also noticed some very fine, dust like metal shards on the deck after this incident. Tiny, tiny ones. But cannot tell where they came from.It does start up and engine is fine. Could the blades be the incorrect ones, he had put new ones on it, but mind you had not had the mower very long as it was too much for his yard. He'd taken it on trade for a debt. I should say the fellow seemed very honest and has been communicating all along with me.

Does anyone have any idea what it may be? Clutch, spindle, blades...

Thanks.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums...
Hustler builds a great mower...
Check Under the deck... See if anything is obviously bent... "the deck got caught on the trailer"... can be no problem Or depending on the situation, could have caused some damage...
"noticed some very fine, dust like metal shards on the deck " ... check as to the source of this metal shavings, something has obviously been bent or pulled out of place. :smile:KennyV

weedsnthorns

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kenny,
Thank you. I've been running it over again and again in my mind. I'm concerned I've really messed it up and was so excited to get it. I won't be able to get it down to a hustler repair shop until Wed or Thurs of this week. You might say, I'm obsessed. Worry can consume one, you know? Anyway, I think that when it bogged down and I was running it smelled like the belt was burning. I went to disengage the blade but I think I may not have stopped the mower. This could surely be a problem I"m sure. Mind you the engine sounds fine, just fine. Runs strongly and turns and backs and everything, all grandly.It just stalls when I try to engage the blade. I know the shortcut isn't a highly sophisticated machine I'm just wondering. If it's that simple my son and I can probably fix it. I hate to ask the repair shop and then circumvent them. Any more ideas, even if you think it's bad news, just be kind:laughing:?
Traci

Bigem1951

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to the forum and well did not see the rest of the story!

Ok Mr. Weedsnhorns did you get the Hustler Shortcut 1500 up and running correctly?
Sounds like you may have bent the housing because it would impair the rotation of the blades and in fact metal shavings would be seen for a short while, but only on the ground. Then you would have seen belt shavings on the mower deck. I think this would cause your blades that are powered by a belt off the jackshaft when engaged with the old 'H' engagement handle to jam causing the Hustler 778167 belt manufactured by Excel Industries with a number 3407 to burn and wear out if continued to if left engaged..

Have A Great Day