Hustler Raptor SD 54” - Caught on Fire - Model 935833

Jhcon

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Hustler Raptor SD 54” - Caught on Fire - Model 935833
I finished cutting a small spot on my lawn (ran about 10 minutes). and backed it in my shop and shut it down. 5 minutes later I see smoke coming from the shop, I could see a fire under the mower on the right side of the the engine. It quickly spread and almost burned my house down. The fire department was able to extinguish the flames but my shop and all contents are destroyed. Anyone know what would cause the machine to catch fire like that? I see some issues with this mower where a clamp or vibration wears a hole in the fuel line causing fires but nothing else. Anyone here have a similar problem? I would like to know if this mower is faulty. I bought it new and had 250 hours on it when the incident occurred.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Went to their website and saw no recalls on the Raptor.

clubairth

Threads
I had to add a heat shield under the muffler on my Raptor SD 54". Otherwise it left brown marks in the grass where the heat cooked it. Heat shield fixed it 100%.

Hustler # 120564 - Muffler Shield Kit. About $35 from Hustler.

Mr. Mower

Threads
Sorry to read about your dilemma with our Hustler Raptor 54" catching fire.

A heat shield is a good add on to the muffler section.

Nothing should be ruled out, although this is way after the fact that it actually happened, by chance was there any dry grass clippings that were possibly left, from a previous cutting, on top of the rear of the deck or close to the muffler? :unsure:

That combination could definitely cause a fire. The reason why I know because that happened to me on my old MTD Yardman riding mower. Lucky I caught it before it really got out of control.

After that incident, after each grass cutting I always clean off, blow off my mower completely of any dry grass or debris.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The question is where exactly was the fire
Apart from refuling fires the most common fire I se here is a deck fire caused by th friction of the belt rubbing on a build up of dry grass
A good reason to always blow out the TOP of your deck
Once turned off leaking fuel should not burn because it needs an ignition source , ie some thing that is sparking or red hot .