Export thread

Hustler Mowers Being Sold at Lowes and Home Depot

davbell22602

davbell22602

Ric

Ric

I agree with what this guy said when he said (I talked to them about my concerns when they first started building the low-end equipment and introduced BigDog (another mower brand), the dealer shares. Anytime any company starts integrating cheap equipment into their commercial stuff, it's a sign. I saw the same thing with Snapper.) I think the only thing there doing is hurting themselves by producing the low end stuff. same as John Deere, Echo and Cub Cadet did, look at there reputation.

L

LoCo86

I agree with what this guy said when he said (I talked to them about my concerns when they first started building the low-end equipment and introduced BigDog (another mower brand), the dealer shares. Anytime any company starts integrating cheap equipment into their commercial stuff, it's a sign. I saw the same thing with Snapper.) I think the only thing there doing is hurting themselves by producing the low end stuff. same as John Deere, Echo and Cub Cadet did, look at there reputation.

They are just trying to appeal to the residential market of homeowners wanting to feel like they have commercial equipment like the professionals do. I don't think it hurts their reputation just by expanding their market. The more they have their name out there on equipment ( giving that it is of good quality) the better for them on getting their brand out there. However, for the most part the mowing equipment the sell at the big box stores is not even close in comparison to what commercial grade equipment has except for a few key features. All in all they are just trying to make as much money as they can. I would do the same thing.

Kiss4aFrog

Kiss4aFrog

I wanted to toss in Troybilt. They are living off their former rototillers bullet proof reputation. I have one of their newer snow blowers built by MTD and it's not any different than the MTDs MTD brands with their own name.
I do think there is a problem with introducing an economy line. The company should give it a separate name line XXXX by Hustler. If they sell a ton of them and make money in the home user market they need to make sure they don't start watering down the commercial equipment thinking they could make more if they saved some on the heavier duty stuff.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Hustler will probably lose some dealers over selling them at Lowes and Home Depot. Who wants to be dealer of a product when a customer can buy it cheaper at the retail store?

exotion

exotion

Hustler will probably lose some dealers over selling them at Lowes and Home Depot. Who wants to be dealer of a product when a customer can buy it cheaper at the retail store?

Well toro still has dealers... Home depot only has like 3 models of push mower and 2 tractors vs the dealer who usually has the whole line + all commercial equipment. Hustler just like toro has a massive commercial following and will not lose those sales. All they are doing is spreading the market they probably will need to be built cheap people are not .going to lowes to spend 5000 plus dollars they go there to buy the cheapest best quality they can without pissing off the wife. I think its a great business move.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Well toro still has dealers... Home depot only has like 3 models of push mower and 2 tractors vs the dealer who usually has the whole line + all commercial equipment. Hustler just like toro has a massive commercial following and will not lose those sales. All they are doing is spreading the market they probably will need to be built cheap people are not .going to lowes to spend 5000 plus dollars they go there to buy the cheapest best quality they can without pissing off the wife. I think its a great business move.

Completely disagree. Not all consumers know that the there be difference in quality and what the dealer has compared to the retail store. Customer #1 just bought it Lowes and home depot and doesnt care about the high priced dealer. Customer #1 2-4 years later needs parts. He goes to Lowes and Home depot finds the parts he needs to fix it himself. Again the high priced dealer screwed out of sale of new mower plus parts sale. It might be 5-10 years before customer #1 visits hustler dealer to parts or service that Lowes and Home depot doesnt have and offer.

exotion

exotion

Completely disagree. Not all consumers know that the there be difference in quality and what the dealer has compared to the retail store. Customer #1 just bought it Lowes and home depot and doesnt care about the high priced dealer. Customer #1 2-4 years later needs parts. He goes to Lowes and Home depot finds the parts he needs to fix it himself. Again the high priced dealer screwed out of sale of new mower plus parts sale. It might be 5-10 years before customer #1 visits hustler dealer to parts or service that Lowes and Home depot doesnt have and offer.

Consummer #1 would never have went to a dealer anyway. Dealer wouldnt lose sale consumer #1 would still buy from home depot only they would buy a different brand therefore hustler loses sale....

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

...I think the only thing there doing is hurting themselves by producing the low end stuff. same as John Deere, Echo and Cub Cadet did, look at there reputation.

Honda, Toro, and Echo all have equipment at Home Depot. That doesn't mean they can't have a good reputation.

exotion

exotion

Also my home depot and lowes don't even carry a lot of parts. All I can ever find there are air filters spark plugs belts and blades. Even that is a limited supply and they only carry these for the few mowers they offer and every year they change models....

Kiss4aFrog

Kiss4aFrog

And as a dealer you have a commercial or very well heeled residential customer base you are used to dealing with and now joe average comes in with his cheap husky and wants repairs NOW. You didn't make the $$$ on the sale. He is going back to a box store for his blades, belts and only comes to you when he has to or to try to get it free under warranty, this is a customer you want ??

There was one dealer, not sure the brand that charged a residential customer a "registration" fee ($30??) before he'd perform warranty work since he hadn't bought the machine from him. That was a hotly discussed topic. The owner of the machine complained to the manufacturer and was told the manufacturer didn't have control over the dealers as they were independent owners.

The way Ariens came out with SnoTec as a less expensive entry consumer model so should Husky. Nothing wrong with going for a wider market and having a wider spread of price points but you want to make sure to differentiate your premium product. Toro has residential and commercial they just didn't separate the brand. In today's market I think it makes more sense to put a separate name in there for the entry level stuff but to still make a good product to protect your name. Toro didn't but they evolved in a different era and they've managed to keep both the residential and commercial quality respectable.

davbell22602

davbell22602

And as a dealer you have a commercial or very well heeled residential customer base you are used to dealing with and now joe average comes in with his cheap husky and wants repairs NOW. You didn't make the $$$ on the sale. He is going back to a box store for his blades, belts and only comes to you when he has to or to try to get it free under warranty, this is a customer you want ??

There was one dealer, not sure the brand that charged a residential customer a "registration" fee ($30??) before he'd perform warranty work since he hadn't bought the machine from him. That was a hotly discussed topic. The owner of the machine complained to the manufacturer and was told the manufacturer didn't have control over the dealers as they were independent owners.

The way Ariens came out with SnoTec as a less expensive entry consumer model so should Husky. Nothing wrong with going for a wider market and having a wider spread of price points but you want to make sure to differentiate your premium product. Toro has residential and commercial they just didn't separate the brand. In today's market I think it makes more sense to put a separate name in there for the entry level stuff but to still make a good product to protect your name. Toro didn't but they evolved in a different era and they've managed to keep both the residential and commercial quality respectable.

I can sell Troy Built equipment as a dealer through one of my distributors but refuse to cause Lowes sells them. Plus I dont know what models Lowes sells in my area.

M

MRCo.

I just signed with Hustler....my first mowers arrive tomorrow. I'm not pleased. I see the whole moving units makes the company money, but wh not use the Big Dog models? They are aimed lower anyway. It makes no difference to Excel, they build both so they make either way. I'm trying to promote Hustler as a quality rig from Raptor up in a market that isn't familiar with the brand and I feel like that immediately undermines what I'm doing. And HD AND Lowes? Both? How the hell did they swing that? They don't like to share brands.

L

LoCo86

I just signed with Hustler....my first mowers arrive tomorrow. I'm not pleased. I see the whole moving units makes the company money, but wh not use the Big Dog models?

Because Hustler is a more prominent brand. I mean would you rather own a Ford Taurus or a BMW 1 series?

M

MRCo.

I just signed with Hustler....my first mowers arrive tomorrow. I'm not pleased. I see the whole moving units makes the company money, but wh not use the Big Dog models?

Because Hustler is a more prominent brand. I mean would you rather own a Ford Taurus or a BMW 1 series?

You seriously think the big box buyer knows that? They all think a Husqy 455 is a full commercial chainsaw...

Kiss4aFrog

Kiss4aFrog

Depends on who is making the payments, paying the insurance and having to do the repairs. :tongue:

What we are talking about is same brand different name. More like do you want to go to the Dealer and buy a Mercury Sable or go to Home Depot and get the less expensive Ford Taurus. With Ariens they go with SnoTek by Ariens so they tie the Ariens name in there but you know it's a Sno Tek and not a full blow more expensive orange Ariens.

I do think the "average" guy does do some research before he drops the $$$ on a new machine and word of mouth makes a difference too. The trick is where does he go for that info and what info does he find. Like above with the chainsaw, he's seen husqy and people talking about then being professional grade and thinks the expensive saw is professional. Expensive at the box store that is. He likely didn't see the $1,000 plus saws as that isn't what he was researching. There is so much marketing hype out there it's hard to cut through it as every manufacturer wants to call their cheapest crap the best they can, it's marketing. I'm sure Hustler is going to try and market the stuff at the box store as being professional grade or close to it.

Ric

Ric

Honda, Toro, and Echo all have equipment at Home Depot. That doesn't mean they can't have a good reputation.

Ask yourself a question, Why doe you visit Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Kmart or Target instead of say JC Pennys, Sears knowing that what they sell are seconds or low quality stuff at best. I think everyone knows theses stores don't sell quality, the sell quantity that's how they do business and the public just eats it up because the can save a few bucks at that moment when in reality it cost them more in the long run. The reason Hustler and others use HD & lowes is to sell there low end residential mowers like the Raptor to the public because they can't sell them at the dealers, I mean really when you walk into a dealer and you start looking at a ZTR like Super Z or an X1 your saying wow, so what are the chances your going to walk out the door with the Raptor??????? That's why they want them in department stores. What will happen to the Raptor will be the same as Cub Cadet's line of cheap ZTR along with some others the mowers will go away and will no longer be made because the company lost there butt on them.

You think that Echo doesn't hurt there reputation selling at HD? I have two dealers within nine miles of me and the one I deal with when you walk in the front door what do you see, three and a half full walls of Stihl Chains saws, pole saws, Trimmers, edgers, hedge trimmers and blowers everything Stihl, where's the Echo stuff, it's in the back room where nobody goes and why because he can't sell the stuff because anyone who wants the Echo stuff goes to HD even though he sells if for the same price. So tell me about hurting themselves or there Reputation, What type of Reputation do they get when a guy walks into a dealer with a Echo Trimmer to get warranty work done and they tell he has to have a sales receipt and warranty card before they'll work on it and he has neither and the sales person tells him take it back to HD where he purchased it.

L

LoCo86

Ask yourself a question, Why doe you visit Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Kmart or Target instead of say JC Pennys, Sears knowing that what they sell are seconds or low quality stuff at best. I think everyone knows theses stores don't sell quality, the sell quantity that's how they do business and the public just eats it up because the can save a few bucks at that moment when in reality it cost them more in the long run. The reason Hustler and others use HD & lowes is to sell there low end residential mowers like the Raptor to the public because they can't sell them at the dealers, I mean really when you walk into a dealer and you start looking at a ZTR like Super Z or an X1 your saying wow, so what are the chances your going to walk out the door with the Raptor??????? That's why they want them in department stores. What will happen to the Raptor will be the same as Cub Cadet's line of cheap ZTR along with some others the mowers will go away and will no longer be made because the company lost there butt on them. You think that Echo doesn't hurt there reputation selling at HD? I have two dealers within nine miles of me and the one I deal with when you walk in the front door what do you see, three and a half full walls of Stihl Chains saws, pole saws, Trimmers, edgers, hedge trimmers and blowers everything Stihl, where's the Echo stuff, it's in the back room where nobody goes and why because he can't sell the stuff because anyone who wants the Echo stuff goes to HD even though he sells if for the same price. So tell me about hurting themselves or there Reputation, What type of Reputation do they get when a gut walks into a dealer with a Echo Trimmer to get warranty work done and they tell he has to have a sales receipt and warranty card before they'll work on it and he has neither and the sales person tells him take it back to HD where he purchased it.

If you do buy your equipment at Lowes or Home Depot why then would you take it to a dealer instead of bringing it back to where you bought it and returning or exchanging it. When I first started I had a Poulan hand held blower that I had for almost a year and took it back and exchanged it for a new one with no questions asked.

exotion

exotion

If you do buy your equipment at Lowes or Home Depot why then would you take it to a dealer instead of bringing it back to where you bought it and returning or exchanging it. When I first started I had a Poulan hand held blower that I had for almost a year and took it back and exchanged it for a new one with no questions asked.

How? Did you have the recipt or box?

L

LoCo86

How? Did you have the recipt or box?

Yes I had the receipt no box. I exchanged it for another took it home tried to start it, of course it wouldn't so I had to take it back and exchanged it for another and it worked just fine. I ended up giving it to my Papaw when I up graded to a Stihl backpack blower.

Ric

Ric

I don't know about that but I do know that after 30 days they don't take anything back or exchange it here in HD or Lowes and seeing how they don't service what they sell you have a couple of different choices you can make, you can give it back for them to send out to have the work done or you can take to a dealer yourself for repair and there are some dealers that really don't like servicing something they haven't sold.

L

LoCo86

I don't know about that but I do know that after 30 days they don't take anything back or exchange it here in HD or Lowes and seeing how they don't service what they sell you have a couple of different choices you can make, you can give it back for them to send out to have the work done or you can take to a dealer yourself for repair and there are some dealers that really don't like servicing something they haven't sold.

I guess that's where I got confused on taking it to a dealer for repairs instead of exchanging it. Here you can take just about anything back and exchange it and let them worry about getting it fixed. When they do get it fixed they have a used and refurbished section that they will put it in.

Ric

Ric

I guess that's where I got confused on taking it to a dealer for repairs instead of exchanging it. Here you can take just about anything back and exchange it and let them worry about getting it fixed. When they do get it fixed they have a used and refurbished section that they will put it in.

Yeah they have a refurbished section here but you only have the thirty days to return or exchange an item then they get it fixed and it will show up in the refurbished section. What people need to do if they want to buy lawn equipment or anything else for that fact from the big box stores is fill out there warranty cards that come with the equipment and get the stuff registered with the manufacturer because a lot of these dealer require a sales receipt and the warranty card to work on equipment purchased from HD or one of those places and there are some dealers who just wont work on the stuff period.

L

LoCo86

Yeah they have a refurbished section here but you only have the thirty days to return or exchange an item then they get it fixed and it will show up in the refurbished section. What people need to do if they want to buy lawn equipment or anything else for that fact from the big box stores is fill out there warranty cards that come with the equipment and get the stuff registered with the manufacturer because a lot of these dealer require a sales receipt and the warranty card to work on equipment purchased from HD or one of those places and there are some dealers who just wont work on the stuff period.

My wife has the same style of thinking about rules and store policies. I recently bought a pair of Red Wing Boots from one of their dealers. And these boots had thirty days to be returned. About 90 days later and in worn condition they reluctantly took the boots back. Also when I went to buy my BR600 magnum from my local Stihl dealer they had a sign on the front that said " We will not take personal checks". So after filling out all the paperwork just for giggles when they asked how I want to pay for it I said I'm going to write a check. In which she replied we normally don't take checks but from you we will. I told her I was just kidding and paid cash. Anyway my point is just cause the store has a policy doesn't mean it's the final word.

Ric

Ric

My wife has the same style of thinking about rules and store policies. I recently bought a pair of Red Wing Boots from one of their dealers. And these boots had thirty days to be returned. About 90 days later and in worn condition they reluctantly took the boots back. Also when I went to buy my BR600 magnum from my local Stihl dealer they had a sign on the front that said " We will not take personal checks". So after filling out all the paperwork just for giggles when they asked how I want to pay for it I said I'm going to write a check. In which she replied we normally don't take checks but from you we will. I told her I was just kidding and paid cash. Anyway my point is just cause the store has a policy doesn't mean it's the final word.

The rules and store policies are enforced by the management and believe me here in this store (HD) they are strictly enforced. At my dealer where I buy my equipment they also have rules and store policies but depending on who you are if you buy from them and you're a long time customer you have some benefits, if your a commercial operator you get put to the top of the list, but someone who buys or brings something in from HD or a big box store I'll let you figure it out what happens there.

wjjones

wjjones

I bet your right too.

wjjones

wjjones

I agree when $$ is involved policy usually is not an issue. I dont think they are going to say we dont want your money.

wjjones

wjjones

I agree with that too Mr. Ric we have a few dealers here that are reluctant to work on John Deere, etc that where not bought from the dealer. If you let HD, Lowes send it for repair work then dont be in a hurry to get it back.

Ric

Ric

I agree with that too Mr. Ric we have a few dealers here that are reluctant to work on John Deere, etc that where not bought from the dealer. If you let HD, Lowes send it for repair work then dont be in a hurry to get it back.

I agree with you too. When you walk in the door of a dealer with a piece of equipment purchased from HD or one of those BBS if your lucky and have your purchase receipt and it's a registered piece and the dealer decides to work on it your work order will go in a stack they may get done in 4 or 5 weeks so either way you would be right don't be in a hurry to get it back.

davbell22602

davbell22602

When I used to work for another shop that did warranty work. The retail store warranty work was treated like it was normal repair and told the customer that they are 4-6 weeks behind. Now if it was warranty on a equipment that was bought there they would try to have it in and out within a week. Especially if it belonged to landscape company and they bought it from them.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Here's what a dealer had to say about hustler going to Lowes and Home Depot.

Hustler Dealers Sound Off on Big Box Threat - Rural Lifestyle Dealer

wjjones

wjjones

When do they plan to start this partnership? I looked yesterday, and didnt see a Hustler on Lowes, or Home depot.

davbell22602

davbell22602

When do they plan to start this partnership? I looked yesterday, and didnt see a Hustler on Lowes, or Home depot.

I dont know. Im guessing mid summer or this upcoming winter so they have them for 2015 mowing season.

jakewells

jakewells

I wont buy it, I only shop at dealerships plus i can get a better choice.

Ric

Ric

Here's what a dealer had to say about hustler going to Lowes and Home Depot.

Hustler Dealers Sound Off on Big Box Threat - Rural Lifestyle Dealer

Sounds like you have dealers that are not very happy with Hustler and Excell Industry's. Like I said Hustler like the others company's are only hurting themselves dealing with these BBS.

Ric

Ric

I wont buy it, I only shop at dealerships plus i can get a better choice.

I'm the same as you, I wont buy from the BBS when it comes to lawn-care equipment. Like you say not only do I get a better choice at the dealer but and I can better the HD price at the dealer by as much as 10% and I have service when I need it.

jakewells

jakewells

I'm the same as you, I wont buy from the BBS when it comes to lawn-care equipment. Like you say not only do I get a better choice at the dealer but and I can better the HD price at the dealer by as much as 10% and I have service when I need it.

I wholeheartedly agree Ric and the many choices i have in my favor and the top notch sales team and excellent parts and service department in case i need help with one of my toys.
Through the thick and the thin they were always there to help when a big box store wouldn't here is my dealer no box store can compare to this.
https://www.facebook.com/thevancestore?ref=ts&fref=ts

wjjones

wjjones

Found out yesterday we have a new Hustler shop opening here in a few weeks.:thumbsup:

davbell22602

davbell22602

Here new link where Hustler responds to comments made from the dealers in selling the raptor in big box stores.

From the Desk of Lynn Woolf: Hustler Addresses Dealers' Big Box Concerns - Rural Lifestyle Dealer

Ric

Ric

Here's the vido from the link but you really need to view the responses from the dealers at the link that davbell22602 posted.

M

MRCo.

As I've said I'm a new dealer. Two weeks new. I ordered Raptor & SDs three weeks ago and haven't seen them yet. Looks like I have another week to wait. F hats because they are building Lowes units before mine then it stinks. If I sell them and reorder do have to wait another month in peak selling season?

wjjones

wjjones

As I've said I'm a new dealer. Two weeks new. I ordered Raptor & SDs three weeks ago and haven't seen them yet. Looks like I have another week to wait. F hats because they are building Lowes units before mine then it stinks. If I sell them and reorder do have to wait another month in peak selling season?

What part of North Carolina do you live in?

M

MRCo.

What part of North Carolina do you live in?

Mountains, hour east of Asheville.

J

JPR

I wonder how many people actually go back and reread their posts. I haven't seen this much elitist crap on a forum since years ago playing video games.

I read this:
"I'm too cool to go to a big box store. If you go to a big box store, then you are a stupid noob who deserves to have your machine break down."

You should thank those stores. The prices of your Rolex lawn mowers would be a hell of a lot higher if those stores weren't around. If dealers are actually hurt by this, that is their own fault. The dealers around here bank pretty nicely from those Deeres being sold at Lowes. Maybe the dealers in your area need to rethink their abilities to run a business. Here, they are not only succeeding with it...they are part of it! It's THEIR tag on the mower. THEY are the ones who put them together. THEY are the ones who service them. They are also the ones who are selling the exact same series in their shop at the exact same prices as our Lowes.

If your dealers give you a cold shoulder or attitude if you bring in a big box store item for service or repair, they deserve to lose their business. That mindset may have worked 30 years ago, not now. Adapt to the customer service era we are in now, or just close your doors.

BTW: Surely you don't think they are going to put in anything more than their entry-level line? People know they are buying that level of a mower there. Not everyone is stupid. I don't know where you guys who are acting like this live, but around here -- people can read the damned model numbers and make sense out of it.

So, now I'm going to post this... go think about what level of mower I want/need... and deduct points for anything over 8k. I would hate to be part of such an elitist group of snobs. Then, I'll come back and reread this post and wonder...wow, why did I even try to talk to snootie tooties over the interwebz.