Hustler mower dead electrically

mouthman

Threads
Hi,
I have an older Hustler MiniZ 44" that has been great until last week.
The mower has a sort of "check engine light" that turns on with the first click of the ignition switch and the hydraulic coolant fan turns on at the same time. The second step of the switch cranks the starter and the engine starts.
But now the engine check light does not turn on and neither does the fan
I have checked the battery-ok, the three fuses on the console-ok, the neutral switches for the handles-ok, the seat switch-ok, the electric switch for the blades-ok, changed the 3 relays in the panel-nothing, replaced the ignition switch-nothing.
I tried to trace the 12 volts to see where it stops but that is where I get lost.
My guess is that there is a fuse or an ignition kill switch that I can't find, but I am looking at the electrical wiring diagram and I don't see it.
I have looked at the forums but don't see anyone having a similar problem.
If any one can suggest anything that would help me find the problem, I would be very grateful.
Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We really need to know the exact model & serial numbers for your mower and the engine fitted .
The wiring diagram is in the parts book and we need to know that we all have the same book because they do change wiring .
According to the diagrams I have there is only 1 fuse on the red wire that goes from the battery to the B terminal on the back of the key switch.

So for starters, pull the plug from the back of the switch and check you have battery voltage on the red wire .

mouthman

Threads
Hi,
Thanks for the response.
My Hustler Mini Z is model 927269
I will check the red wire to the ignition switch tomorrow.
Thanks

wiring1.jpgwiring2.jpgwiring3.jpg

mhavanti

Threads
Before you go any further, open up the dash again, attach a wire at the ignition switch igniter tab. (carefully) Run the other end down to the starter solenoid exciter tab if it is a Kohler for testing purposes only. If it spins over. What now is still affected by the fuse blowing?

I have some videos on diagnosing this problem. One place to check is disconnect your PTO clutch at the clutch itself as the jumper connector between the wiring harness and the PTO Clutch can be internally corroded or frayed causing a direct short blowing the fuses. If the fuse no longer blows, I've covered how to repair that jumper in my videos at Max's Garaj Mahal in YouTube and in the Hustler Mower Owners Official Group in Facebook.

For the video I'm attaching, go to 31:41 to see what I'm speaking to on the jumper to see if your starter is a problem.

As you go forward, let us know what you've eliminated, we'll try to stay with you to the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6uJSEJDZoE&t=156s

mouthman

Threads
Thanks to both of you for your help.
I learn something from every post.
And I feel like a fool.
I said I checked the battery voltage and it was over 12 volts, but I did not check it under load. It was a bad battery.
I have to learn how to check the simple things first.
Thanks again,