Hustler fastrak sd 48” grass caked under deck

Joshb5514

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m sure it’s been discussed plenty of times but I’m having a terrible issue with grass getting caked underneath my deck. I’ve had this mower for seven years and it was not a problem at all until two years ago. I maintain my mower extremely well but I will admit I didn’t clean the bottom out as regularly as I probably should have. Maybe a few times a year when I would sharpen my blades. I’ve switched back and forth from regular blades to gator blades. Currently running gator blades and I feel like it just makes it worse. I have some highlift blades on order I will give a try. But I just don’t understand why this wasn’t an issue for five years. I live in Alabama where it seems to rain almost every day of the summer so there’s nothing new there. Of course I try to cut when it’s dry but I don’t always have that option. It’s gotten so bad that I have to drive the mower up on a ramp every 10 minutes so I can just scrape the huge clumps out from under it because it’s leaving lines of uncut grass that often. I feel like the bottom of the deck is just pitted and not smooth enough like a new deck. Should I sand it down and repaint it? If so, what kind of paint would be ideal? Would it hurt the deck if I cut the bottom lip from around the edge off so grass can’t get stuck there? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
65EBCD46-7EBE-4850-BA01-A8FBC66C4636.jpeg

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gator blades are the top pick for packing grass under the mower deck.
Do Not cut the bottom lip on the mower deck. That lip helps prevent the deck from flexing.
You probably want to remove the deck and clean the underside the best you can. Inspect for any places that look rusted through. Only you can make the determination to paint or not. Personally, I wouldn’t bother.
You can coat the underside with Fluid Film or a wet graphite spray. It will wear off. Check your deck after each mowing. If there is a lot of build up, spray off the underside with a garden hose.
The sand and grass will wear the paint off pretty quickly.
A set of notched high lift blades will work well.

Last edited:

Joshb5514

Forum Newbie
Threads
I appreciate the feedback. I will definitely try the high lift blades once they arrive and hope for the best 🤞🏻

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I appreciate the feedback. I will definitely try the high lift blades once they arrive and hope for the best 🤞🏻
Make sure that your deck is leveled and pitched correctly.
Gator blades are horrible on any grass that is even damp with morning dew.

Glades Cat

Threads
There is an epoxy we use on our airboat hulls that is very slick. It has great adhesion, hardness and almost nothing sticks to it. Steel Flex from Fasco Epoxies. Been using it for years. You can even coat your circular saw and jigsaw deck and it will slide over the material and not mar the surface.

Joshb5514

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is an epoxy we use on our airboat hulls that is very slick. It has great adhesion, hardness and almost nothing sticks to it. Steel Flex from Fasco Epoxies. Been using it for years. You can even coat your circular saw and jigsaw deck and it will slide over the material and not mar the surface.
Thank you. I’ll definitely keep that in mind 👍🏻

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And try to mow as late in the afternoon as possible
Those clippings look very wet
Also remember that there is a maximum volume of grass that a deck can accomodate before it chokes

tpack

Threads
I have a fastrak 54 and have always had the same problem. It is worse in the spring when the grass has a lot of moisture.