Hustler 34" Dash - Owner Review

Born2Mow

Threads
In 2019 I bought a new Hustler 34" Dash and wanted to share my impressions. The Dash is offered in 34" and 42", with the only difference being the 2-blade or 3-blade deck.

This is a fairly basic mower, very reminiscent of the first generation Snappers. The driver's seat position is adjusted by bolting the seat into a new position. Battery, hour meter and belts are accessed by hinging the driver's seat forward.

• The 10.5hp single cylinder B&S engine was strong and dependable. I was pleased with the power and fuel economy.
• The automatic parking brake was fantastic. Anytime the control levers are moved out, the parking brake is automatically applied. This is so convenient, it really should be standard on every mower.
• On-board storage was excellent. The cup holder was generously sized. And further to the rear are Left and Right cubbies for incidentals. Both of these are large enough to stow hard plastic ear muffs, cell phones and/or other items. Very thoughtful and highly appreciated.
• 7-position deck height, set by relocating a steel pin. Foot-operated deck raising pedal conveniently located and very easy to operate.
• Battery was in a protected location under the driver's seat. I could see an issue arising if I ever had to "jump it off", but luckily the mower was very dependable.
• Short wheel base made the mower very maneuverable. Narrow width allowed it to easily go through garden gates and other tight places.
• Comfort. The controls were well placed and the well-padded and spring-mounted seat was comfortable.
• Easy change engine oil access.
• Hydraulic units sealed for life.

DISLIKES
• Weight: First and foremost was the low ~380 lb weight which allowed the mower to slide. Forget the 15° warning, this mower would begin to slide at anything over 5°. Sliding would then dig up the turf. Towing the mower out of a low spot would dig up the lawn even more. This condition was not only hard on the lawn, but it was downright dangerous for the driver. I can only recommend this mower for FLAT lawns. Safety was the number 1 reason I sold this mower.
• Fuel Tank. This mower only held roughly 2 quarts of fuel, meaning frequent trips back to the garage to re-fuel. And no fuel gauge.
• Deck Noise. During cutting, the belt pulled the deck to the rear in a pulsating manner. Since the deck was rigidly suspended, it made for an extreme amount of noise during operation, especially if the lawn was clumpy or varied in consistency.
• Although oil changes were quick and easy, the B&S engine was not equipped with an oil filter.
• The 34" deck was as wide as the wheel base, meaning it was hard to mow close without hitting the wheels or fenders.

Hope this helps.

Born2Mow

Threads
pqhvjmE.jpg

sh54Wa2.jpg

omH7yGE.jpg