Summary: Replaced original Husqvarna RZ4219 steering arm dampeners with direct fit Samsung DC66-00470A washing machine shocks.
My RZ4219 zero-turn mower steering arm dampeners were worn, there was a lot of free play, inconsistent movement dampening and weak resistance. I tried 2 sets of aftermarket dampeners from Amazon, each about $25/pair. Both sets were direct installs, but both were worse than my 14 yr old original dampeners, so I returned them. I was unwilling to immediately spend $50 to $75 each for what appeared to OEM Husqvarna dampeners.
I hunted Amazon for similar sized dampers/shocks and found Samsung washing machine shocks (see below). The important criteria was the lengths, eye-to-eye, closed and extended, no springing action, similar overall size, and of course low cost. I ordered 2 for under $15 total. These fit perfectly using the original mounting bolts with some different spacers. These provide smooth dampening similar to the OEM worn old dampeners but without any free play. Excellent!
The dampening was improved but I wanted even more resistance. So, I added one 1.5" U-bolt muffler clamp, $4 ea, to each shock which allows me to adjust the resistance to my preference now, and as needed later if the shocks wear. I had to grind one u-bold clamp 1/8" to clear the gas tank.
So far, this is working well for me.
"DC66-00470A Washer Shock Absorber Replacement For Samsung Washers"
My RZ4219 zero-turn mower steering arm dampeners were worn, there was a lot of free play, inconsistent movement dampening and weak resistance. I tried 2 sets of aftermarket dampeners from Amazon, each about $25/pair. Both sets were direct installs, but both were worse than my 14 yr old original dampeners, so I returned them. I was unwilling to immediately spend $50 to $75 each for what appeared to OEM Husqvarna dampeners.
I hunted Amazon for similar sized dampers/shocks and found Samsung washing machine shocks (see below). The important criteria was the lengths, eye-to-eye, closed and extended, no springing action, similar overall size, and of course low cost. I ordered 2 for under $15 total. These fit perfectly using the original mounting bolts with some different spacers. These provide smooth dampening similar to the OEM worn old dampeners but without any free play. Excellent!
The dampening was improved but I wanted even more resistance. So, I added one 1.5" U-bolt muffler clamp, $4 ea, to each shock which allows me to adjust the resistance to my preference now, and as needed later if the shocks wear. I had to grind one u-bold clamp 1/8" to clear the gas tank.
So far, this is working well for me.
"DC66-00470A Washer Shock Absorber Replacement For Samsung Washers"