Husqvarna z4824 Hydraulic System

jmw2010

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2005 z4824. It's starting to whine quite a bit and has suffered pretty significant power loss over the past couple years. I keep searching and searching for an answer to this and can't find it. Is this an all closed system where you can't add or change the transmission fluid? If not, how do you add or change the fluid? Thanks in advance.

Barleypop

Forum Newbie
Threads
I see this post is a little old. I Have this Same Question. More importantly, If the fluid can be changed, what fluid would these mowers take?
OP, did you ever find an answer?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Fluid can be in the Hydro Gear EZT but it is a pain as the unit(s) have be removed and turned upside down. They originally was fill with SAE20W50 Dino motor oil. During the oil change it should be switch to SAE15W50 synthetic.

Barleypop

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for that StarTech. I did find this video on screwtube - watch
And this Schematic ZC-ZD-Service-Schematic.pdf
And saw a fill spec of 56 oz 20w50 dyno. I will definitely go with the synthetic you suggested. AMSoil seems like the goto.
The guy in the video says the case should be 100% full after bleeding air out. Is that accurate? If so I will have to rig up a drill to it on the bench as I cannot access my fill plugs when on the mower. Or, I might drill out some access holes.
Now that Ive done a little research, Got the lingo down, I bet there is a thread on here for sealed hydro gear trannys.

Barleypop

Forum Newbie
Threads
@StarTech, I saw in another of your posts that you mentioned thicker oil on older units. Mine is 15 YO with 600+ hours. Im sure the oil has never been changed. It works fine but the pumps are quite whiny. Would you suggest a thicker synthetic? 20w50?

Barleypop

Forum Newbie
Threads
Now I have found the actual service manual for my Hydraulic Unit. I now know it is a ZT-2200 (EZT) Hydro Gear. Gives great instructions on changing the fluid, Including that the fluid does not get filled to 100%. BLN-52622_ZT2100_ZT2200.pdf

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes just like putting heavier oil in a smokey engine can for a while compensate for wear thicker oil in your hydro can compensate for wear but it is a band aid measure
JD specify 10w40 in their 100 series transmissions so the one oil can be used from Alaska through to Texas .
Here is Australia their trannys start to fail from 500 hrs to 1000hrs and going up to 20w50 will usually get by for another 2 to 4 seasons.
I have even gone as far as putting Harley oil 50w75 into a pensioners mower and his is still running fine, but it takes a good 10 minutes for it to warm up & work properly.
Ultimately you will need to replace the pump/motor unit which is a NORMAL SERVCE PART .
You can not do more damage to your worn transmission by running the heavier oil
Harley shops sell a synthetic heavy oil down here so I would expect it is also available over there but because no part is too expensive for a HD it is not cheap , but cheaper than the $ 800 ( aus ) for the drop in service kit .

Barleypop

Forum Newbie
Threads
@bertsmobile1, Thanks, I will look into a pump. The service manual has good instructions on that repair. If I have to take the units out, May as well look into replacing the worn pump while Im at it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have not done it before it will take the better part of a whole weekend
Very important to take photos as the swash plate goes in two ways
Put it in backwards and the controls will be reversed so F is R and R is F
And it is very easy to do that
We probably have 2 or 3 a year come here wondering why their rebuilt tranny goes backwards .
The magic word is CLEAN.
They are a closed system so any dust you allow in will grind away at the valve plate
I used to do them in the workshop shower after wetting down the walls and always covered with a damp sheet.
The hardest part is cleaning off the silicon without it falling inside
When assembling take heed of the instructions about the thickness of the bead & where to place it.
Had more than one come in gummed up with globs of silicon .