Husqvarna Z254 Speeds

Skyharbor106

Threads
I am a first time owner of a zero turn mower, Husqvarna Z254. I have had it now for about 50 hours and still getting used to it. For the most part, I am very happy with it. It cuts better and faster than the old John Deere it replaced. But I am noticing that on slight hills, it loses power pretty dramatically. It recovers when I hit the flats again, but with a Kawasaki 23hp engine, I am surprised at how it slows down. I also notice that on some turns it "slips" and creates areas where the spinning tire strips the grass down to just bare dirt. Are these normal for the machine? The grass is not wet, so I can only assume I am giving it too much "gas". Is there any adjustment to the speed control that would help me on hills?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In order not to slide each wheel must be turning at the correct speed for the arc it is traveling on.
It is a lot trickier to do than most think and you must be driving on both wheels.
Similar to turn on the spot without tearing up your grass both wheels have to be turning AT EXACTLY THE SAME SPEED in opposite directions .
Regardless of weather the grass was wet or not before you mow unless you are in a severe drought & cutting straw the clippings & cut ends of the blades of grass will be wet and thus slippery.
If the engine is slowing down signifcantly on hills and in heavy grass and you have the trottle WFO then you have an engine problem most likely a dead cylinder .

Skyharbor106

Threads
thanks, how can I identify a dead cylinder? This is a new machine and still under warranty.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the spark plugs off one at a time
If the machine does not run exactly the same on either the left or right then you have a dead cylinder.
It could be as simple as the valve lash being out of spec on one side.
The rocker Support on these engines is a bit too on the frail side for my liking and the eccentric rocker adjustment is a bit too course

Skyharbor106

Threads
Thanks. It seems to start and run okay, just loses power on small hills Will check today. Appreciate your time and care to help me out. George

Skyharbor106

Threads
I pulled the plugs and the engine did change pitch and sound, until I temporarily held the wire to the plug and it resumed normal sounds on both sides. There was a noticeable change on each side when I took the plug boot off. Doesn't this mean that both cylinders were working?