Husqvarna yth2148 charging problems.

sammyh8888

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I have a Husqvarna yth2148 and there has been some problems with the battery and charging. So anyways the first problem was the regulator then I changed that and it helped.. but it didn’t. (Before I changed the regulator it just ran on the battery) So now it charges itself but it doesnt charge itself to start it after your done riding. Any ideas on how to fix this? (I know that was confusing)

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So we either have a battery that isn't working correctly and not excepting a charge, or is faulting out like a shorted cell, or the charging system isn't working. Lets start with getting the battery load tested at an auto parts store to rule out a battery issue. And please give us the model information from the engine so we can see what charging system you have.

Born2Mow

Threads
Above is very good advice. To continue... Batteries can easily die from several very "simple looking" causes...

> Batteries which stay in an uncharged condition can easily "sulfate", which is a chemical reaction that inhibits the electron flow in one of more cells. If the battery case is translucent, then you may see a white chemical "bloom" on the plates. Despite numerous "treatments" on the market, the condition is irreversible.

> Since the charging system was suspect, you may have placed the battery on a charger. This is an "iffy" situation at best. The charge rate, charge voltage and charge time are all critical. If any of those numbers is too high, then the battery can be literally cooked to death.

I highly suggest you have the battery "load tested" to determine if even a viable device at this point.

gainestruk

Threads
You can take battery to Autozone or O’Reilly,s or any other chain auto parts store and they will load test battery and see if its any good, they do it free of charge.

sammyh8888

Forum Newbie
Threads
Above is very good advice. To continue... Batteries can easily die from several very "simple looking" causes...

> Batteries which stay in an uncharged condition can easily "sulfate", which is a chemical reaction that inhibits the electron flow in one of more cells. If the battery case is translucent, then you may see a white chemical "bloom" on the plates. Despite numerous "treatments" on the market, the condition is irreversible.

> Since the charging system was suspect, you may have placed the battery on a charger. This is an "iffy" situation at best. The charge rate, charge voltage and charge time are all critical. If any of those numbers is too high, then the battery can be literally cooked to death.

I highly suggest you have the battery "load tested" to determine if even a viable device at this point.
Thanks for the advice.

sammyh8888

Forum Newbie
Threads
So we either have a battery that isn't working correctly and not excepting a charge, or is faulting out like a shorted cell, or the charging system isn't working. Lets start with getting the battery load tested at an auto parts store to rule out a battery issue. And please give us the model information from the engine so we can see what charging system you have.
Thanks For The Help Everyone!

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
So no matter the condition of your battery, read the battery voltage before starting it and after a full charge. Note that at rest voltage ("Static") - lets say it is 12.6 and charger is off it for 2 min before the reading. Then start the motor and see what the voltage is at idle and at full rpm. If the battery voltage is a bit higher at idle charging is going on. If at bit higher than that at full rpm, the charging circuit is capable of putting more out at the higher rpm which is what it should do unless there is a regulator in the system and the max of 14.5 or so is where you are. Not all systems have a regulator.

MowManMow

Threads
Fair warning:
Any battery one plans on taking to get tested be sure you try to fully charge it before testing it.
Ive had a few friends take their batteries in to get checked and were told their battery was bad & needs replaced.
After they learned how much parts stores wanted for new batteries they called me asking for the best place to buy one and/or ask to barrow a battery till payday from my extra cars. I tell them to bring their bad battery over and so far all but one battery brought to me dead was just fine. I put them on an overnight slow charger and they take it back and get them tested again & they've been perfectly fine.
People always jump their vehicle and go straight to the parts stores who just tossed they're tester on them without charging them first. Either they dont seem to care about charging them first like they once did yrs ago or dont know to do that idk but a dead battery cant be properly tested.
So far 2 of them I charged up have been going strong about 5yrs now.
Most mower batteries dont actually reach full charge in a mower due to owners mowing smaller yards so its wise to toss a little charge to those mowers a couple times during summer to help its battery last longer. Many owners never use a charger even during winter but it adds yrs to the life of any battery. But charge one before testing or you wont know for sure if its truly bad.
A couple parts stores said they fast charged them several minutes before testing but its not the same as a slow full charge and its bad on these small batteries because they have thin plates inside.