Husqvarna YTH18542 Spindles

Nitescan

Forum Newbie
Threads
First time posting here- lots of good information & knowledge on this forum. While trying to figure out why the deck would like to buck me off the seat besides the obvious of bent idler pulley arms & pulley bearings & possibly wrong belt, I checked the spindles for run-out, they both are out right at .010-.012, I know what this run-out would do to couplings & such, but what about this deck? What's acceptable here? Would appreciate any feedback on this.

digr

Threads
.010-.012 total indicator travel would be .005-.006 run out which isn't much.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The spindle uses C3 clearance bearings. But you go by the amount of blade wobble (up and down blade tip movement). Now the deck belt should be 101-1/4 effective length. I do know too short of a belt will cause an engine buck jump. And of course if the engine bolts are loose or missing can problems. Plus if a burned section or chuck of the belt is missing can cause problem. Belt would where the deck got jammed and the belt get quickly worn down in a section then it would like riding a bike with a rim that has a flat spot. Sort like trying to use square wheels.

6203 and 6204 bearings.

Nitescan

Forum Newbie
Threads
The spindle uses C3 clearance bearings. But you go by the amount of blade wobble (up and down blade tip movement). Now the deck belt should be 101-1/4 effective length. I do know too short of a belt will cause an engine buck jump. And of course if the engine bolts are loose or missing can problems. Plus if a burned section or chuck of the belt is missing can cause problem. Belt would where the deck got jammed and the belt get quickly worn down in a section then it would like riding a bike with a rim that has a flat spot. Sort like trying to use square wheels.

6203 and 6204 bearings.
Will check the blade wobble for sure, feel of the hand isn't any- but there is bound to be some on the tip of an indicator. My thoughts about this belt is maybe the wrong size, it appears he didn't like the manual blade engagement feature cuz when I got this unit, the cable was cut & the spring & bracket was no where to be found. I'm not sure he ever mowed with it again after he did this, but my thoughts again was maybe he put a smaller belt on to compensate for the engagement & tried to run it with the blades being on constantly.... IDK! I believe a friend of the owner told me the guy was always McGivering things. This mower is only 5yrs old with hardly any hours, actually looks new except for the deck & missing parts, looked like he tried putting new blades on & finally said the heck with it(maybe another reason the cable was cut- he couldn't figure out how to get it undone)- regardless, he was trying to put on mulching blades also. Thanks for the tip.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Oh goodie one of those type of customers. Then anything possible. I would definitely measure that deck belt then.

At least he hasn't duct taped the blades on; although, he may have damaged the stars. I had one to do it here on a walk behind mower and his only complain was the there a lot vibrations. He didn't even have the retaining screw in place.

Nitescan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Oh goodie one of those type of customers. Then anything possible. I would definitely measure that deck belt then.

At least he hasn't duct taped the blades on; although, he may have damaged the stars. I had one to do it here on a walk behind mower and his only complain was the there a lot vibrations. He didn't even have the retaining screw in place.
Awesome..... it just gets better & better! LOL! Well he did not have any shroud bolts on the engine, had the flywheel tore all up with broken blades, no gas smell to the take at all(could of been using E85- IDK, never smelled that before), over full by almost a quart of oil, siliconed the valve cover gasket & it had leaked all over the muffler. I could go on & on but you guys have seen & done it all. I gotta laugh... duct tape on the blades.