Husqvarna YTH18542 Deck Idler Tension Spring Broke. How much headache to Install new?

platefire

Threads
  • / Husqvarna YTH18542 Deck Idler Tension Spring Broke. How much headache to Install new?
Was mowing today and noticed the deck engagement arm had lost a lot of its tension when I engaged it. So I shut her down and started checking the deck out and found what Husqvarna calls the "Return Spring" laying on top of the deck with one end broke off.

I think I see the correct holes where I need to connect the new one. I can pick one up in town tomorrow. Just looking at it, it seems it would be almost impossible to install the new spring with the deck on, it's so tight of space to work with.

So am I going to need to pull my deck to be able to install that spring?? Or is there a trick to being able to install it with the deck in place?

Last edited:

Bertrrr

Threads
  • / Husqvarna YTH18542 Deck Idler Tension Spring Broke. How much headache to Install new?
I hook one end where it's supposed to go and run a Sash cord around the other end and pull it with a heavy rod until it's stretched enough to get into the other fit,

platefire

Threads
Thanks! You talking about doing that with the deck in place, right?

Bertrrr

Threads
yeah

platefire

Threads
Well I found this video that shows how to do it linked below for anyone else who needs to do the
same thing. The mower on the video is a Craftsman but looks exactly the same as my Husq,

I decided to go ahead and pull the deck(like on the video) because I got old mans thin skin that bruises and bleeds easy and working in that confined space, could do me damage. I got the spring yesterday but haven't installed it yet. It looks pretty easy job to me(Famous last words) ;).

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Well I found this video that shows how to do it linked below for anyone else who needs to do the
same thing. The mower on the video is a Craftsman but looks exactly the same as my Husq,

I decided to go ahead and pull the deck(like on the video) because I got old mans thin skin that bruises and bleeds easy and working in that confined space, could do me damage. I got the spring yesterday but haven't installed it yet. It looks pretty easy job to me(Famous last words) ;).
Pulling the deck is not needed and adds time. I have a spring hook I use for many springs to remove and install.

Skippydiesel

Threads
I use a length of automotive 12V cable tied in a loop. Length of double loop will depend on space available to to the job. Connect your spring to the point furthest from you. Connect the loop to the other end of the spring. depending on how strong you are and space available, use one or both hands to pull the spring into its second position. Ease the hooked end into the retainer - easy!

Usually no need to remove deck.

Only on the easiest/lightest spring would I consider using pliers/vice grips/hooked device/etc

Keljan11

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just changed the mower clutch pulley cable a few days ago on my old Craftsman mower. It was a bit of a pain in backside to change without removing the deck, but wasn't all that hard. More awkward for me as I have issues with one of my hands and a knee, but do-able..

platefire

Threads
First let me say this, I always Pray for the Lords help with all my mechanic work.
Well I did it and without pulling the deck. I went into my shed looking for something I could make a spring pulling hook out of and I had one of these little hanger rack with about 6 hangers on it. So I borrowed one
of the 1/8" Diameter hangers off the rack pictured below. I had to lay on the ground, get my face up in the deck and study it a few minuets. Hooked my spring on the Idler pulley plate hole and came in from the back of deck with the hook and pulled into place. Thanks for the directions and encouragement!!:)(y)

Attachments

• Spring Hook.jpg
    Spring Hook.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: