Husqvarna YTH 22V42 cranks but wont start

Emoz24

Forum Newbie
Threads
As posted my lawn tractor with the Briggs and Straton Intek V twin 22.0 has been giving me fits this year. First few times out of storage it worked great then decided it would crank and not start. Carb cleaner in the air intake will allow it to fire up and run without issue until the machine cools down then the issue starts again.
Initially I replaced the plugs, air filter, fuel filter and re-charged the battery which did not resolve the issue. Then I cleaned and rebuilt the carburetor and still no change. The magnets on the fly wheel had some rust build up which I cleaned off and It did fire up once but then went back to the initial issue. I tested the fuel pump which functions properly and had the battery load tested which passed. The strange thing is that I can get the tractor to start either with the carb cleaner or by using the "engine start" function on my battery charger and once it starts it will run great and re-start without issue until it cools down.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start with cheap & easy things like resetting the valve lash.
Next would be to check the idle passage on the carburettor.

Mower King

Threads
As posted my lawn tractor with the Briggs and Straton Intek V twin 22.0 has been giving me fits this year. First few times out of storage it worked great then decided it would crank and not start. Carb cleaner in the air intake will allow it to fire up and run without issue until the machine cools down then the issue starts again.
Initially I replaced the plugs, air filter, fuel filter and re-charged the battery which did not resolve the issue. Then I cleaned and rebuilt the carburetor and still no change. The magnets on the fly wheel had some rust build up which I cleaned off and It did fire up once but then went back to the initial issue. I tested the fuel pump which functions properly and had the battery load tested which passed. The strange thing is that I can get the tractor to start either with the carb cleaner or by using the "engine start" function on my battery charger and once it starts it will run great and re-start without issue until it cools down.
Check and make sure your choke is closing all the way in the full choke on position, 3/4 closed won't start them when their cold.

Threads
I'm not convinced that it isn't the carburetor. I would replace it. I have success with cheap, aftermarket carburetors +90% of the time. Also, make sure you're using fresh fuel.

Emoz24

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am going to give all of these a try next week but I do have a question on the carburetor. If it was a carb issue why would the mower start with the aid of a jump pack? (I am new to all the home repair small engine mechanics)

Mower King

Threads
I am going to give all of these a try next week but I do have a question on the carburetor. If it was a carb issue why would the mower start with the aid of a jump pack? (I am new to all the home repair small engine mechanics)
It will do that because, with a battery pack, it spins the engine quite a few more RPM's than with the regular battery, and it pulls a lot more air through the carb, through the venture and across the E-tube, creating a siphon effect for the fuel in the bowl to come up the E-tube and prime the engine, ....kinda acts like a choke!

Jpow

Threads
Was having the same challenge. Removed fuel solenoid, clipped plunger and reinstalled. Installed fuel shut off valve after carb and it starts every time and runs like a champ. All this after, replacing fuel, batter, fuel filter, spark plugs, fuel solenoid cleaning carb, etc....

Jpow

Threads
Was having the same challenge. Removed fuel solenoid, clipped plunger and reinstalled. Installed fuel shut off valve after carb and it starts every time and runs like a champ. All this after, replacing fuel, batter, fuel filter, spark plugs, fuel solenoid cleaning carb, etc....