Husqvarna YTA24V48 Left Axel Seal Came Out

GregBuchan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was maintaining my 24V48 and found an oil leak on the floor. Examining the hydrostatic transmission, I found the left axle seal out of its seat and grease was all around the inside of the tire rim and on the inside of the wheel. After removing the tire, I noticed a little whiteish oil as it dropped out where the axle enters the housing. The axel felt loose and it seemed to have pushed back in about a 1/2”. I pushed the seal back into the slot and it wouldn’t come out again. So I reinstalled the tire but cannot find a fitting to grease.
when I restarted it to pull it back in the shed, it would not engage the transmission. I checked the engage/disengage pin and it was engaged, I could hear the sound of it running when depressing the forward control and again when trying the reverse control but no movement whatsoever.
1. How do I add grease to that axle, quite a bit came out, at least 1/4 cup was sprayed around the tire side.
2. does the transmission need to be purged or could that axle cause this it it wasn’t pushed back in correctly?
3. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post deleted because numb nuts here read it as YTH not YTA
So Star is right & I will go get a bigger cup of strong coffee to see if the brain will engage

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Boy Bert you are two for two today.

The YTA mowers uses a CVT transaxle from GTI which is usually the RS800.

Now to the OP question. Take the mower out and drive it around for about 30 minutes. Then you feel the bottom the transaxle for excessive amount heat. If not found then you are okay. The grease on the wheel can look worst than it is. Here is an example.
1685751717023.png
Now if you got to add grease then here is where it is added.
1685751765052.png

GregBuchan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bad news
That mower should have a hydro drive which has no grease
I am suspect you bought it used and have been sold the proverbial used car with a diff full of bannana skins.
The bad news is there should be no more than 1/8" axial play so the axel retainer inside the transmission is broken / fallen off , it is only a tiny clip and easily damaged is some one uses excessive pulling force to remove a rear wheel that has rusted onto the axel ( very common problem with home owner maintained mowers ) .
So the box has to come out get cleaned & repaired .
The very first repair I did solo when I bought the repair run was a YTH where they tied the wheel to the SUV tow bar to try & pull it off to get they tyre fixed & ripped the entire axel out.
So after getting the tyre fixed they packed the axel hole with grease , managed to get the splines to align ( which is why your wheel won't go back in fully ) the offerred to mow the bosses lawns , making only right hand turns to prevent the right rear wheel falling out .
Thanks for the reply. I bought it new in 2016, at Lowe’s. It’s never had an issue with the axle seal before my finding today.
I went back through all the original documentation and found that I omitted the square axel lock key which I didn’t know about. Found it with a magnet bar in the grass and R&R’d the wheel and installed it. Now it moves on its own fine, I put it back in the shed (it’s raining like mad) under its own power. Docs say “hydro pedal” when referencing the transmission gear pedal and one of the many placards I removed when it was new says hydrostatic (I saved them all) it’s a YTA not YTH. Don’t know if that matters…see the image.
I am still worried about the amount of grease that was on the side of and all round the inside of tire/wheel. I used a rag and scooped off quite a bit but there is no zerk to grease it. That grease had to come from it as there are no grease points on the back that could have caused that?

Attachments

• IMG_8731.jpeg
    IMG_8731.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 0

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry for the bum steer
Yes the H is for Hydro the A is for Agony ( plastic transmission )
They have not turned up in my service run yet apart from some Stigas

GregBuchan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I bought it new in 2016, at Lowe’s. It’s never had an issue with the axle seal before my finding today.
I went back through all the original documentation and found that I omitted the square axel lock key which I didn’t know about. Found it with a magnet bar in the grass and R&R’d the wheel and installed it. Now it moves on its own fine, I put it back in the shed (it’s raining like mad) under its own power. Docs say “hydro pedal” when referencing the transmission gear pedal and one of the many placards I removed when it was new says hydrostatic (I saved them all) it’s a YTA not YTH. Don’t know if that matters…see the image.
I am still worried about the amount of grease that was on the side of and all round the inside of tire/wheel. I used a rag and scooped off quite a bit but there is no zerk to grease it. That grease had to come from it as there are no grease points on the back that could have caused that?
Boy Bert you are two for two today.

The YTA mowers uses a CVT transaxle from GTI which is usually the RS800.

Now to the OP question. Take the mower out and drive it around for about 30 minutes. Then you feel the bottom the transaxle for excessive amount heat. If not found then you are okay. The grease on the wheel can look worst than it is. Here is an example.
View attachment 64826
Now if you got to add grease then here is where it is added.
View attachment 64827
Yes! That’s the grease pattern!

I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to test the heat question but at least I have it moving under its own power and was able to get it back in the shed.
I saved the image of where to add grease and will try and locate it in the daylight. Thank you!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sorry for the bum steer
Yes the H is for Hydro the A is for Agony ( plastic transmission )
They have not turned up in my service run yet apart from some Stigas
Definite PITA transaxle. Just a not enough of them under my service wing to get good at the repairs. I thunk I have three customer's mowers with the RS800.

Jimmy V

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there a way to add 00 grease to the RS800 Transaxle with out completely pulling it out of my YTA 46 INCH Husqvarna?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If I remember correctly the fuel tank is in the rear so no you have to pull the transaxle.