Husqvarna YT 48XLS trans problem

Wild Turkey73

Forum Newbie
Threads
You came here looking for help, but your last post seems to tell us you know more about these problems than we do.

I get fed up when people don't read my post and answer what they think is the question so I quote my original post:
"Is there a better trans that fits available? "

That's the question. Do you have an answer?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Short answer is yes
Long answer is most just buy a new mower because the tranny is often the most expensive part.
I rarely ever replace them as we have a tech that machines the pump & motor.
Mulligans have been my go to.
They are the experts and have always been honest ( and quite fank ) with any question I have asked
They offer a lot of upgrade kits

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I get fed up when people don't read my post and answer what they think is the question so I quote my original post:
"Is there a better trans that fits available? "

That's the question. Do you have an answer?
I have found generally you can swap transaxles but it is likely research would need to done as which linkages that would need change out due to different position of control points. As mention the main problem is costs to do so vs replacement of the whole mower due the rest of the mower's condition.

This is why I never had to opportunity to even try to do an upgraded transmission installation; however, Tuff Torq does offers an upgraded center section for the K46 which what I install on the replacement of the center section. So the only center section replacement have been on ZTRs.

As the Tuff Torq K46 failures that I have read about, here in my shop I have only seen one K46 with a bad center section and one with a broken axle. Neither of which the customers want repaired due to costs. It seems the only customers that is willing to have the work done is the commercial clients.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I put a Peerless 2000 Silent Trak in my L130 Deere mower a couple years ago when my K46 gave out. I got that trans. at a surplus center for reasonable money and I like the separate hydraulics and differential sections plus the higher rating. Did require some rework and fabrication to get it in and the foot pedal shifting is not just right, but sure beats $800 for a new piece of crap replacement. This was before there was information on how to repair the orig. unit. But those are no longer available and I don't know of anything that is a close enough replacement. I'd say you're stuck with what you have, an oil change might prolong the agony before it needs some serious rework..

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You also posted that you would like to fix the tranny. That was the direction I replied to. Guess you are one of the few people that have extra money to throw at a new tranny than possibly diagnosis and solve a problem before having to put big bucks into it. As a 70 year old fart and one who has never had extra money to spend I normally try to help people narrow down a problem before throwing money at parts they don’t need. Also, if you are thinking about installing a new tranny in it, you should replace the belt anyway. I’m now going to get out of this thread as the direction I was taking you, is not what you really want.

Wild Turkey73

Forum Newbie
Threads
as is it's not worth a lot so I've got to put some money into it. We are building a new house on some acreage we've owned for 20 years and I'm wanting to sell mower to get money to buy a big "finish mower" for my tractor because the Husky isn't big enough for mowing acres.

other info:
1. found a guy on Ebay who rebuilds them for an affordable price if I do the labor of disassembly. That would put mower in sellable condition.
2. if there's a better transmission I could put in it I would consider selling it with the house for next owner to use.

So again I ask: Does anyone know of a better transmission that will bolt in, even if I have to adapt the controls?

I read of one someplace but didn't bookmark it.

I'm 71 myself. Can't do as much as I used to be fore having both knees and a shoulder replace but growing up on a farm and doing industrial maintenance for years means I've got some experience in that line. I have welders and a plasma cutter so some fabrication is possible.