Export thread

Husqvarna Transaxle 532448354

H

HuskyMom7

So our transaxle went out on our mower at the end of May. We have been trying to get a new one now for almost 7 weeks now. The repair shop ordered it but they keep getting the run around where the delivery date keeps getting pushed back. So I went on Husqvarna's website and it showed in stock shipping in 2 days. So I ordered it after inquiring if it was in fact in stock. I was assured it was and that it would ship in 2 days. It's a week later and it still has not shipped. I'm wondering if there is possibly a big issue with this part and they just can't keep it in stock but won't recall it. Is anyone else having an issue getting this particular part?

I

ILENGINE

I suspect that the transaxle was in fact not in stock even though they said it was. And the changing date from your repair shop is just par for the course. I just checked with my distributor and they are showing a 8/7/23 date so I would suspect that date gets pushed back at least a couple months before it become available.

I have been waiting on a starter assembly for a Poulan Pro blower since May and the truth is I am waiting to get the email that says that the part has been discontinued and has been removed from your order because that part was only used on 2 models.

H

HuskyMom7

I suspect that the transaxle was in fact not in stock even though they said it was. And the changing date from your repair shop is just par for the course. I just checked with my distributor and they are showing a 8/7/23 date so I would suspect that date gets pushed back at least a couple months before it become available.

I have been waiting on a starter assembly for a Poulan Pro blower since May and the truth is I am waiting to get the email that says that the part has been discontinued and has been removed from your order because that part was only used on 2 models.
I"m suspecting that it wasn't in stock too. What really gets me is this mower is only 3 1/2 yrs old. Warranty expired last Aug. This thing only gets used maybe once a week and maybe only 8 months out of the year and some of those months only once or twice a month. For what we paid for this thing it should have lasted a lot longer. If they discontinue this part you'll be reading about me going postal on them. Pretty much a whole season we'll be without this mower. I'll never buy another Husqvarna tool ever again.

B

bertsmobile1

As far as Husqvarna is concerned the mower has lasted for a reasonable time
Domestic mowers are built down to a price that the public will pay
You might think it was expensive, but change the $ to hours worked and you will see it was dirt cheap
Honda make top quality walk behind mowers and the price you paid for your Husqvarna in only a slight bit higher for a lot more product
But if people keep on buying at the bottom end then the bottom end will get bigger and good quality mowers which a sound parts back up will become rare

H

HuskyMom7

As far as Husqvarna is concerned the mower has lasted for a reasonable time
Domestic mowers are built down to a price that the public will pay
You might think it was expensive, but change the $ to hours worked and you will see it was dirt cheap
Honda make top quality walk behind mowers and the price you paid for your Husqvarna in only a slight bit higher for a lot more product
But if people keep on buying at the bottom end then the bottom end will get bigger and good quality mowers which a sound parts back up will become rare
I'm sorry we paid 3k for a mower that lasted basically 75 cuts, that is NOT reasonable. It was not dirt cheap.

B

bertsmobile1

As was mentioned previously conver those $ into hours worked then ask yourself how can they make it so cheap.

I blew up an advert for my fathers first petrol powered mower
It was £ 69 back in those days dad made £ 8 / week so it was 8 weeks wages more or less & we paid it off over 3 years along with the fridge & washing machine because they were all months worth of wages .
That was 61 years ago and my sister still has the mower & her neighbour uses it to mow the common area of 5 blocks of flats, I service it every 2nd Boxing Day when I go there for lunch.
To Americans that is a 3 floor appartment building
It is still on the original bore
And this is a PUSH MOWER
So pay 8 weeks wages & get 61+ years of use quality = excellent quality & sound purchase
How much quality & durability do you expect to get from a much bigger & more complicated ride on that you only paid 4 to 5 week wages for ?
I have the sign there to drive this point home to people who get fixated on the number and not the real price , the hours of our labour that went into buying it .
At 3K you get a throw away mower and I am sorry if the economic truth is a very bitter pill to swallow and even sorrier that you got a dud
I have customers who have bought a $ 1999.99 Chinese copy of your mower come in all the time with all sorts of problems & I show them the sign then tell them it will cost at least $ 2000 to make it a reasonably reliable mower and even then I have no idea about how long it will last .
The 21Hp Kohlers fitted retail for $ 1700 and they paid $ 300 more for the complete mower
OH and these are Australian dollars so multiply by 1.4 to get rough US $ , but again the numbers are not important , it is the hours and $ 1999.99 is roughly 1.5 weeks of average wage. 2 weeks of median wage and 2.5 weeks of minimum basic wage down here

As for Husqvarna mowere it is a brand I advise customers to avoid for anything other than chain saws , with the added comment that "quality sells itself while junk has to be sold" so think of how many adds you have seen for Husqvarna and ask yourself why so many ?

H

HuskyMom7

As was mentioned previously conver those $ into hours worked then ask yourself how can they make it so cheap.

I blew up an advert for my fathers first petrol powered mower
It was £ 69 back in those days dad made £ 8 / week so it was 8 weeks wages more or less & we paid it off over 3 years along with the fridge & washing machine because they were all months worth of wages .
That was 61 years ago and my sister still has the mower & her neighbour uses it to mow the common area of 5 blocks of flats, I service it every 2nd Boxing Day when I go there for lunch.
To Americans that is a 3 floor appartment building
It is still on the original bore
And this is a PUSH MOWER
So pay 8 weeks wages & get 61+ years of use quality = excellent quality & sound purchase
How much quality & durability do you expect to get from a much bigger & more complicated ride on that you only paid 4 to 5 week wages for ?
I have the sign there to drive this point home to people who get fixated on the number and not the real price , the hours of our labour that went into buying it .
At 3K you get a throw away mower and I am sorry if the economic truth is a very bitter pill to swallow and even sorrier that you got a dud
I have customers who have bought a $ 1999.99 Chinese copy of your mower come in all the time with all sorts of problems & I show them the sign then tell them it will cost at least $ 2000 to make it a reasonably reliable mower and even then I have no idea about how long it will last .
The 21Hp Kohlers fitted retail for $ 1700 and they paid $ 300 more for the complete mower
OH and these are Australian dollars so multiply by 1.4 to get rough US $ , but again the numbers are not important , it is the hours and $ 1999.99 is roughly 1.5 weeks of average wage. 2 weeks of median wage and 2.5 weeks of minimum basic wage down here

As for Husqvarna mowere it is a brand I advise customers to avoid for anything other than chain saws , with the added comment that "quality sells itself while junk has to be sold" so think of how many adds you have seen for Husqvarna and ask yourself why so many ?
Pretty sad that we live in a disposable society. We are killing our planet with all the crap we throw away. I "thought" we were buying something that would last. My mistake. Never again will I own any Husqvarna product.

B

bertsmobile1

No more sorry that I am
Grow most of my own food , no heaters or air con, compost or vermipost , reuse or recycle, wear mostly discarded corprate clothing, drive 40 year old van on LPG and soon to be off grid , drink tank water although tank water is available got 8 pairs of steel cap work boots with stitched on soles that have been resoled at least 3 times each one pair is 30 years old as I know how to use boot dressings When I ride I use some ex-GP boots bought post Vietnam war .

I

ILENGINE

Pretty sad that we live in a disposable society. We are killing our planet with all the crap we throw away. I "thought" we were buying something that would last. My mistake. Never again will I own any Husqvarna product.
That is not limited to low end equipment either. There is a 3 cylinder liquid cooled diesel engine that is used in Excavator, skid steers, and compact tractors under various name brands that has no internal overhaul parts available from the OEM. Only oversize pistons/rings etc are found through 3rd party aftermarket suppliers. The engine is designed to be removed and replaced with a new engine and not repaired. And that engine is $6500.

StarTech

StarTech

Here is some really great news the 532448354 is NLA. Order Tuff Torq PN 7A646084090 or 7A646084091 which should be the replacement transaxles and my distributor has 10 of them in stock.
1690924937296.png
1690924971522.png

I

ILENGINE

Here is some really great news the 532448354 is NLA. Order Tuff Torq PN 7A646084090 or 7A646084091 which should be the replacement transaxles and my distributor has 10 of them in stock.
View attachment 66121
View attachment 66122
If you are using Gardner/dixie I don't believe they carry Husqvarna parts any more. I get NLA on all HOP items in their system.

StarTech

StarTech

Yes but RBI is showing the same NLA on that 532448354.

And I will call my Gardner sales rep in the morning to check on the Husqvarna parts status. If they are no longer handling them then I got to find else that does. A third of what I repair are Husqvarna based units. But what I have the order I building is in stock.

B

bertsmobile1

That is not limited to low end equipment either. There is a 3 cylinder liquid cooled diesel engine that is used in Excavator, skid steers, and compact tractors under various name brands that has no internal overhaul parts available from the OEM. Only oversize pistons/rings etc are found through 3rd party aftermarket suppliers. The engine is designed to be removed and replaced with a new engine and not repaired. And that engine is $6500.
Getting off topic but a riding pals son works for a big building company
At the end of each job they sell off all of the hand held gear or dump it because the cost of storing t till it is needed again MAY exceed the cost of new equipment .
And this goes all the way through to things like 1/2 million dollar excavators
Because it is only needed for the life of the job very little maintenance is done and if it breaks down they just buy a new one and bill it to the job.
But the hard right always blame excessive workers wages for cost blow outs .

B

bertsmobile1

Back to HuskyMom7.
Locate the transmission ID tag, should be one on each side on the axel housings , take photos if you must & PRINT THEM OUT .
Do the same for the mowers ID plate
Print it as well
Write down exactly what is happening
When you have all the information together ring Mulligans tell them what you want and ask them what they can supply you.
IF you have the information in front of you so you can answer them strait away they are (or have been for me ) very very helpful to the point of you can use this different transmission if you take the control lever off & fit it over ( some push forward some pull forward ) .
IF you make them wait all the time while you scroll through the mass of photos on your phone then try to enlarge it , go off into a different app etc and waste their time you will get a polite "sorry we can not help you ", remember their time is billed out so is valuable to them .
Just about every supplier will be very hepful if you can answer their question quickly so they can work out exactly what you have and establish what you need quickly.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

Back to HuskyMom7.
Locate the transmission ID tag, should be one on each side on the axel housings , take photos if you must & PRINT THEM OUT .
Do the same for the mowers ID plate
Print it as well
Write down exactly what is happening
When you have all the information together ring Mulligans tell them what you want and ask them what they can supply you.
IF you have the information in front of you so you can answer them strait away they are (or have been for me ) very very helpful to the point of you can use this different transmission if you take the control lever off & fit it over ( some push forward some pull forward ) .
IF you make them wait all the time while you scroll through the mass of photos on your phone then try to enlarge it , go off into a different app etc and waste their time you will get a polite "sorry we can not help you ", remember their time is billed out so is valuable to them .
Just about every supplier will be very hepful if you can answer their question quickly so they can work out exactly what you have and establish what you need quickly.
$3000 divided by 75 cuts equals $40/cut. Depending upon how large and how much trimming you have, is possibly the cost of lawn service each week.
Most cheap transaxles in mowers usually last for several/many years, you got a dud, it happens.
Americans have had an unquenchable thirst for cheap products for many years now for a variety of reasons.
I have a John Deere D130 in my shop right now with 40 hours on the meter, and a pooched T40 Tuff Torq transmission. It sux, but it happens. Best of luck.

StarTech

StarTech

If you are using Gardner/dixie I don't believe they carry Husqvarna parts any more. I get NLA on all HOP items in their system.
IL, I just got off the phone with Gardner, Greensboro this morning and the rep said they are still handling HOP (Husqvarna) parts. It is just that Husqvarna is really slow about getting the parts out.

Now of I know they don't handle many of the Husqvarna handheld parts which is why I order those through Jacks.

I

ILENGINE

IL, I just got off the phone with Gardner, Greensboro this morning and the rep said they are still handling HOP (Husqvarna) parts. It is just that Husqvarna is really slow about getting the parts out.

Now of I know they don't handle many of the Husqvarna handheld parts which is why I order those through Jacks.
So slow that they are showing common belts as NLA that are in stock in multiple quantities at my distributors, as well as Partstree

StarTech

StarTech

A few of the belts I look-up are only showing as out of stock (not NLA) but I usually order the PIX belts from RBI anyways. But several others were in stock.

D

DHook

I did a google search for that trans part number and it comes up in a bunch of places, including amazon. Most claim they're in stock.

Why not rebuild yours? I did mine and I'd never done one before and it works great now. Lots of Youtube videos on how to.

S

Silver Wolf

So our transaxle went out on our mower at the end of May. We have been trying to get a new one now for almost 7 weeks now. The repair shop ordered it but they keep getting the run around where the delivery date keeps getting pushed back. So I went on Husqvarna's website and it showed in stock shipping in 2 days. So I ordered it after inquiring if it was in fact in stock. I was assured it was and that it would ship in 2 days. It's a week later and it still has not shipped. I'm wondering if there is possibly a big issue with this part and they just can't keep it in stock but won't recall it. Is anyone else having an issue getting this particular part?

S

Silver Wolf

You should order your trans-axle direct from the manufacture. It probably a Hydro Gear 217-728-2581 or a Tuff Torq 866-572-3441.. Get the Model# and S/N off the transaxle and give it to them. I used to work on the hydrostaic transmissions on mowers like wheel horse when they were well build and repairable. They were actually driven by a driveshaft of a horizontal engine.

If you want the trans-axle repaired, you should take just that to a hydraulic repair shop that has lapping capabilities and have the lawnmower shop install it. Most of them fail from contamination in the oil, running dry from a oil leak as well as running to hot. . It is a shame the mower manufactures would not spend a few extra dollars to have a drain plug in the trans-axle so the oil may be changed, just like the engine.. It could run for ever, but it's design for a certain life. It's the manufactures of the mowers fault so that you will buy a new one. When you get the bill, you will wish that you did buy a new one. If you are having it repaired, you could have it drill and tapped for a SAE plug so that you may change the oil.

It does't matter what manufacturer is of the mower, they all use the same trans-axles. Commercial mowers use a industrial hydro-static transmission and are repairable. Good luck

L

larryWinfred

I'm sorry we paid 3k for a mower that lasted basically 75 cuts, that is NOT reasonable. It was not dirt cheap.
You are correct. That's NOT reasonable. 3 1/2 years is suppose to be "reasonable"? I, also, own a husky and I will never buy another one or mtd product. I have owned several and have been very disappointed in their quality.

L

LMPPLUS

Appears that the P/N-532448354 hasn't been available since 2022, but the OEM Tuff Torq #7A646084091 is available.

C

Canuck64

Doing some work on y JD X300 last spring, checked TuffTorq site as I remembered they listed a repair kit for the K46 axle, all the wear pieces, no longer available nor were the individual pieces. JD listed the individual pieces, didn't follow up if they were available or the price.

Drilled the case for drain holes, checked for any visible wear or broken pieces, all looked good so put back together and re-filled with Mobile 1, 5-50 as suggested by TuffTorq. Oil was initially changed at around 400 hrs and every approx. 200 ever since. Initially having to remove axle assembly, turn upside down and drain, next one will be such a tread, throw a pan under and pull 2 drain bolts. Measure the right amount of oil (1,89 L) and squirt it into the fill port with a syphon gun.

Both engine (Kawasaki) and trans have been treated to Mobile 1 and WIX filters. Trans works as new. Engine starts on first turn with no smoke and good compression on both cylinders. I believe that regular oil changes are the key. At 1200 hours now and still running strong.

Its Me

Its Me

Been repairing mowers about 60 years now never thought that I would see mowers sold and discarded only after a season or two, my home repair shop is very busy, two reasons the mower shops over here charge one hundred an hour, charge one hundred fifty to trouble shoot it and if you decide to fix it that goes on pay on your bill, they do not repair, they replace the whole piece, example, if the electronic shut off on the carburetor is stuck they put a new carburetor, I have had several people call me and asked to pick up mower at there homes that do not run, they just go buy another one, many of them only have minor problems so I fix them and sell them at a very low price, if they are to bad off I take them apart and sell used parts when I have one that needs such parts, I get half the price, and will offer a reasonable warranty, if I have another item to replace suck piece, might even have what you are looking for on a scrap mower, Joe

StarTech

StarTech

So you are 70+. But yes many things have changed lately as they moving toward battery powered equipment. Many of the carburetors that once was repairable are now not repairable due the lack of available parts. I having to replace a carb on a Kohler now because I can't get the throttle shaft. Otherwise the carb is overhauled.

And it seems this switch to complete assemblies only being available has accelerated since Covid 19 hit.

F

farmerdave1954

Wow! Any way you could identify that engine so we could avoid buying it?

J

jviews12

Can yopu not get a used one off a doner mower? I would.

G

Gumshoew

I have owned two Husqvarna riding mowers for a good number of years and other than routine maintenance they have been excellent. I've repaired a lot of riding mowers and in my opinion they have been best on the market. I've found most mowers I've repaired not engineered as well as Husqvarna .