Husqvarna RapidReplace blade system

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have never been a fan of the husqvarna riding mowers. They look cool but the quality is the same as the old AYP craftsman mowers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With swing back blade this is not a problem with the locally made ride ons
But of course this is the country where Euclyptus trees come from and one of their characteristics is dropping branches at will so we have a lot of tree branches that no one bothers to clean up before they mow and of course if you are mowing 5+ acres you are not going to walk the entire yard first .
I do have a problem customer ( city working tree changers ) that finally bought a drag behind rake , a bit late now as they have cooked the right hydro as flicked up branches have ripped all of the fan blades off.
The Parker overheated, popped the filler cap & blew all of the oil out

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That's property owners should keep their property cleaned up. Doing at as it happens takes a lot least time. Of course you still got to get rid of piles. And swing back blade which our bush hogs rotary mowers uses are meant just that type of work. Fixed blades are not. Right now I got a lot crepe myrtle trimming on my lawn, just waiting a dry low wind dry to burn them.

Here I have 6 acres with Bradford pear trees but they don't drop small limbs sometimes it is half a tree so you can't missed unless you are completely blind.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Gave up burning decades ago
Now I put a row or 2 of bricks around the base of trees some where near the drip line
When I prune I drop the branches directly into the shredder and spread it around the base of the tree
1) reduces the amount of grass to be mowed
2) returns nutrients to the soil
3) saves a stack of time
When the arbourist come around to trim the street trees from power lines I get them to dump the trimmings out front & add them to the piles around the trees , works a treat
All lower branches get removed then it is 3 sprays with Glyco per year and job done
Occasionally I will bring a pot of strawberries or garlic and pop them around the tree bases

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sounds that is working for you but I just don't have the spare time to do the chipping myself here hence the burning besides the thorns really tears me up while chipping. One a week to get the housework and other shopping duties done then there is just not enough time to do other things.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds that is working for you but I just don't have the spare time to do the chipping myself here hence the burning besides the thorns really tears me up while chipping. One a week to get the housework and other shopping duties done then there is just not enough time to do other things.
You miss the point.
The chipper is set up & running before I start pruning so all I do is cut a branch & drop it in the hopper unless I am using the saw so I end up doing 2 jobs at the same time .
The down side is it uses more fuel because the chipper is running for a long time empty and is noisy .
When the pruning is done U just rake the chips around .
Decades ago I used to prune onto a tarp, drag the tarp around to the compost area then shred
Often the shredding happened several weeks latter so the clippings were dry & hard which made the chipping slow & difficult plus dulled the blades .
In those days I was using an electric shredder and It was running for so long the plastic case got soft & the bearings came loose.
Once I learned the trick of poping the shredder on the tarp & throwing the clippings directly into it while still pruning the whole thing became so much easier & quicker .
Then I learned to put mulch mats under the shrubs / trees and let the shreds become the mulch around the base so I was doing 3 jobs , pruning, shredding & mulching at the same time
The final trick was the loose laid bricks around the drip line

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually I don't so. I just don't have the spare time to do a lot lawn care work outside the 60+hrs I put in the shop. I am also by myself so the one day a week I get is full of other chores like housework and household shopping.

Last edited: