Husqvarna blade drive belt comes off

celticredneck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Recently, the blade drive belt on my Husqvarna 46" cut lawn tractor started to come off of the pulleys whenever I disengage the blade drive to shut off the mower. The owner's manual says that there is no adjustment and the only fix was to replace the belt. Guess what? The new belt does the same thing. As long as the blade drive is engaged, it works fine. But, as soon as I disengage it and shut the mower down to get off and open the gate, it comes offd. Any ideas?

dodgefate

Threads
MAke sure the motor is still bolted in place and try to move it with a prybar. If all good you might be able to move the deck back a smig by adjusting the nut on the arm the comes out of the front center of the deck and goes to the frame

Threads
check the belt guide around the engine pulley & blade pulleys, as the belt slows when the blades are shut off the belt moves down due to as previosly stated a loosed engine or somthing else

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Recently, the blade drive belt on my Husqvarna 46" cut lawn tractor started to come off of the pulleys whenever I disengage the blade drive to shut off the mower. The owner's manual says that there is no adjustment and the only fix was to replace the belt. Guess what? The new belt does the same thing. As long as the blade drive is engaged, it works fine. But, as soon as I disengage it and shut the mower down to get off and open the gate, it comes offd. Any ideas?

your problem seems similar to the problem i had, i did a search on husqvarna's parts list website and found the idler assembly mount bolt is the same size as my simplicity tractor with a 46" deck: 3/8" diameter and 1 and 1/2" to 2 and 1/2" long a grade 5 bolt. my pto belt was breaking and after inspection found this bolt was the problem. you can refer to my thread posted below and see if this will help you out:

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/simpl...sive-deck-vibration-belts-breaking-issue.html

hope this helps you out

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Knowing AYP/ Electrolux/Husqvarna, you probably have had a belt keeper or two fall off.

We need a model number from under/behind the seat before we can help much,
Thanks

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you put the new belt on did you put the pulley covers back on?

There are two pulleys that are flat the back side of the belt rides on them they should have a tab that comes close to the pulley makes it hard to even get the belt on.

And as has been said check the engine pulley guide pins.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you put the new belt on did you put the pulley covers back on?

There are two pulleys that are flat the back side of the belt rides on them they should have a tab that comes close to the pulley makes it hard to even get the belt on.

And as has been said check the engine pulley guide pins.

bend tabs carefully with screwdriver or pliers just enough to get belt on, then bend tabs back into position, reinstall covers absolutely.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
bend tabs carefully with screwdriver or pliers just enough to get belt on, then bend tabs back into position, reinstall covers absolutely.

I use to do it like that. But if you just back the bolt/nut off a couple of turns the belt slips right on.
It's a pain to get the taps to bend back into the pulley.

Dave H.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hope you solved the problem by now, but what I found on mine (having the same problem) was the brake shoes were worn.
The shoes not only help stop the blades when disengaging, but also applies more tension to the belt (belt path gets shorter).
I replaced my belt with a new one, belt kept coming off, then replaced the brake pads and problem was solved.