Husq YTH 1846 starting problem

leonlak

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Husqvarna YTH 1846 with a Briggs 540 cc 18.5 hp mower that will not start. The last time it was used it started and ran fine. I got off the machine to open up a gate and when I tried to start it back up it would not start. When the key is turned the motor will turn over slightly and then stop. The battery is new, solenoid is good. The motor seems to turn over until it reaches the compression point and then stops. With the spark plug removed the motor will turn over normally. I tried adjusting the valves with no luck. Is it the starter or some other problem ? Thanks.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Since you have adjusted the valves then it is mostly a failure camshaft ACR and would require replacing the camshaft.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Are you running this down at a low idle? Say when getting off to open gates? Moving into the garage or field? Trying to save gas? Trying to slow the mower speed down by lowering revs?

That "new" battery will require load testing to confirm it is good.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I tried adjusting the valves with no luck.
Did you set them incorrectly? There are 2 top dead center strokes on a four stroke engine.

One valve all the way open or pushed into the head, adjust opposite valve. Rotate engine doing the same for the other valves. If one valve is open, other valves are safe to set.

leonlak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you running this down at a low idle? Say when getting off to open gates? Moving into the garage or field? Trying to save gas? Trying to slow the mower speed down by lowering revs?

That "new" battery will require load testing to confirm it is good.
No, not lowering idle when getting off the mower. Will test the battery. Thanks for the reply.

leonlak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you set them incorrectly? There are 2 top dead center strokes on a four stroke engine.

One valve all the way open or pushed into the head, adjust opposite valve. Rotate engine doing the same for the other valves. If one valve is open, other valves are safe to set.
Thanks for your reply. I believe they were set correctly. It was done by my brother, who is a pretty good mechanic and I believe he checked them twice. I will run this by him and make sure they were done correctly.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No, not lowering idle when getting off the mower. Will test the battery. Thanks for the reply.
What I was getting at was if you lower the revs the battery might not charge proper. Keep her at 3600rpm. Some have a small charging coil of say 3 amps. One engine crank will take a while at topping off the battery at 3 amps.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Turn the engine backward against compression and see if it will start. That way you will have one revelotion with no compression and it will probably start. You can also take the valve cover off and turn the engine over and watch the lower rocker arm to see if it bumps off just before the piston reaches TDC on the compression stroke. If not the compression release is broken.

leonlak

Forum Newbie
Threads
What I was getting at was if you lower the revs the battery might not charge proper. Keep her at 3600rpm. Some have a small charging coil of say 3 amps. One engine crank will take a while at topping off the battery at 3 amps.
I do generally keep the revs high when using this machine, not sure if it has a charger though. Thanks.