Export thread

Husq YTA24v48 looses traction

M

mower-001

Husq YTA24v48 (hydrostatic trans) loses all traction on hills & rolls uncontrollably. When it stops the tractor won't move when pressing forward or reverse pedal. After a couple of hours, it will go forward or reverse on flat terrain but will lose traction again on hills. Motion drive belt look OK & seems tight when inspected after losing traction. Pulleys looks OK too,. Any ideas? Thanks.

R

Rivets

Belt might look ok to you, but still be worn. When was the last time it was replaced? If it has been more than three years I would repl the belt, but not before checking that the idler pulleys are also in good condition and the idler arm is moving freely. All three of these parts must work together to get proper drive.

M

mower-001

Belt might look ok to you, but still be worn. When was the last time it was replaced? If it has been more than three years I would repl the belt, but not before checking that the idler pulleys are also in good condition and the idler arm is moving freely. All three of these parts must work together to get proper drive.
Thanks for your help. What's puzzling is when it stops moving, pressing forward.reverse pedal doesn't seem to engage anything. The drive belt isn't moving. I thought if the drive belt was loose you'd get the sensation the tractor's trying to move but won't. In my case, nothing happens when depressing the forward/reverse pedal. But after a few hours it'l move again with no difficulty on flat terrain, just not hills.

D

deminin

Husq YTA24v48 (hydrostatic trans) loses all traction on hills & rolls uncontrollably. When it stops the tractor won't move when pressing forward or reverse pedal. After a couple of hours, it will go forward or reverse on flat terrain but will lose traction again on hills. Motion drive belt look OK & seems tight when inspected after losing traction. Pulleys looks OK too,. Any ideas? Thanks.

I have a YTH24v48, that I bought in 2017. Sometime in the past couple of years, Husq changed the model to YTA, as a result of the swap to a different transmission. I've seen reports about the YTA not working very well on steep inclines.

You should inspect the belt area...and perhaps even replace the belt, to be sure....and look for Any buildup of debris, or any evidence of pulley wear, then contact Husqvarna, and let them know your problems. The YTA should have a 3 year warranty, so there is a pretty good chance that your mower is still under warranty. You can find the model/ser.#, and the Husqvarna phone number on a label under the seat. If your unit is still under warranty, the sooner you contact Husq, the better. A new transmission is expensive.

D

deminin

I was looking at the Lowe's web site for a couple of things, and out of curiosity I looked at their current Husqvarna mowers...They DON'T show the YTA series anymore....everything is YTH. That's another good clue that their YTA transmissions have become a problem. Check your WARRANTY!

B

bertsmobile1

Also check the brake/clutch pedal.
Debris builds up under the pedal where it rests on the frame
This prevents the pedal from fully dissengaging the clutch,
The end result is the same as resting your foot on the clutch in your car.

My test for hydros is how they roll ( or don't off my tipping trailer.

If they have to be pulled hard to get them to roll off then the hydro is great
If they run me down the instant the brake is let off the tranny is toast
Between the two extremes is the 50 shades of grey

StarTech

StarTech

As far as I know the YTA24V48 does not have hydrostatic but instead has a CVT transaxle, Actually is either the General Transmissions RS800P or RS800F.

Debris is a problem with these transaxles as well other problems. Here is some info from General Transmissions on the RS800.

General Transmissions RS800 Help

M

mower-001

Also check the brake/clutch pedal.
Debris builds up under the pedal where it rests on the frame
This prevents the pedal from fully dissengaging the clutch,
The end result is the same as resting your foot on the clutch in your car.

My test for hydros is how they roll ( or don't off my tipping trailer.

If they have to be pulled hard to get them to roll off then the hydro is great
If they run me down the instant the brake is let off the tranny is toast
Between the two extremes is the 50 shades of grey
Checked belt, pulleys & debris, All is fine (or clear). Suspect the trans as I loose traction only after running for a while. When 1st started up, will go up/down low grade hill fine, but after running a while it loose all traction on same hill. Feels like the pedal lost connection w/ trans somehow. After a few hours, mower will go again with same problem as above. Sent email to Husq help center 5 days ago but no response. they claim to respond in 1-2 biz days.

4950cycle

That vid on the RS 800 CVT is vary helpful BTW. Thanks a bunch

B

bertsmobile1

Did you check the pedal ?
It is a very common problem .
The result is like driving a manual with your foot resting on the clutch.

4950cycle

Checked belt, pulleys & debris, All is fine (or clear). Suspect the trans as I loose traction only after running for a while. When 1st started up, will go up/down low grade hill fine, but after running a while it loose all traction on same hill. Feels like the pedal lost connection w/ trans somehow. After a few hours, mower will go again with same problem as above. Sent email to Husq help center 5 days ago but no response. they claim to respond in 1-2 biz days.
Is your problem resolved yet ?