HRX217VKA cold start problem

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most of us are getting older. Losing upper body strength and motion. Engine needs a good snappy yank on the rope to fire off cleanly.

catbob

Threads
I have the same model with the 200 engine, contacted a company tech and he told me that pulling 2 or 3 times is normal, same response from my local dealer. I have found that if I go to start it and pull the cord out slow the first time and pull the 2nd time like I wanted to start it, it usually starts.

Threads
I have the same model with the 200 engine, contacted a company tech and he told me that pulling 2 or 3 times is normal, same response from my local dealer. I have found that if I go to start it and pull the cord out slow the first time and pull the 2nd time like I wanted to start it, it usually starts.
I took the mower into the shop a couple weeks ago. My own conclusion led me to pick up a new gas canister, put only about 1/2 gallon of gas in it so I'll need more in maybe a month max. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not to use Sta-bil in the gas container NOT the mower. I know it's corrosive, so shops would push not using it (?). But the problem may have been bad fuel. Got it yesterday and easily started it. I haven't had bad fuel since circa 1979 and was able to pinpoint it to where I got the gas. The GCV never had an issue in the 10 years that I had it.

Time and winter will tell what happens to the mower but I used it today and it started on the first pull. I didn't have to pull the cord to where it met resistance and yank it the rest of the way. But, the shop filled the tank and it was new gas. That ends this problem. Thanks, everyone. This forum is really helpful.