HRR216TDA will not pull backwards...

juniorace

Forum Newbie
Threads
makes the normal clinking sound when pushed forward but will not pull backwards as the rear wheels are locked up - any thoughts?
Thanks

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try adjusting the cable. Also take off wheels to see if there is anything out of the ordinary going on. Also why the wheel is off try getting some grease in there while your at it.

NJsnapper

Threads
makes the normal clinking sound when pushed forward but will not pull backwards as the rear wheels are locked up - any thoughts?
Thanks

Try pushing the control paddles the opposite way and Ill bet the wheels reverse fine. Cable adjustment

juniorace

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi NJsnapper,

Where are the control pads?

Thanks,
Juniorace

NJsnapper

Threads
actually on yours, its the bar that engages the trans to make the mower move. I think you will see that its not properly adjusted and when the bar is released its not fully released at the trans via the cable

juniorace

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will give that a try later today - will let you know the results
Thanks

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is the serial number off the back of your mower?

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

I'm asking, because Honda issued a Service Bulletin way back in 1999 about "difficult to roll backwards" problems with this model. The problem is binding on the adjuster plate, and a new type plate was introduced starting with serial number -6186178. If your mower is older than this serial number, it may benefit from new adjusters.

Let me know, and I can post the full bulletin...

drjb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also have the same problem, where the wheels do not roll backwards at times. Interestingly, I've found that I don't have any problems with the rear wheels when the cutting height is set at either of the two tallest cutting heights. However, when I lower the deck, this problem occurs immediately, and seems to be worse the lower the deck is set.

I notice that the rear wheels also tilt inwards (top of the wheels cant inward towards the center of the mower). This tilt increases as I lower the deck. Although my serial is 6111___, I feel like the adjusters would benefit me as well. Can you help provide more information?

Thanks very much in advance!

EDIT: I should have noted that I have a HRT216S3DA - serial begins with MZCG. However, the symptoms sound very similar to the HRR216TDA in this post.

What is the serial number off the back of your mower?

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

I'm asking, because Honda issued a Service Bulletin way back in 1999 about "difficult to roll backwards" problems with this model. The problem is binding on the adjuster plate, and a new type plate was introduced starting with serial number -6186178. If your mower is older than this serial number, it may benefit from new adjusters.

Let me know, and I can post the full bulletin...

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I also have the same problem, where the wheels do not roll backwards at times. Interestingly, I've found that I don't have any problems with the rear wheels when the cutting height is set at either of the two tallest cutting heights. However, when I lower the deck, this problem occurs immediately, and seems to be worse the lower the deck is set.

I notice that the rear wheels also tilt inwards (top of the wheels cant inward towards the center of the mower). This tilt increases as I lower the deck. Although my serial is 6111___, I feel like the adjusters would benefit me as well. Can you help provide more information?

Thanks very much in advance!

EDIT: I should have noted that I have a HRT216S3DA - serial begins with MZCG. However, the symptoms sound very similar to the HRR216TDA in this post.

Here's the bulletin; new adjusters will likely help a great deal. Easy DIY, you do need some snap-ring (circlip) pliers and a little bit of wheel bearing grease. Clean everything and work in a clean area. A few tiny parts that are easy to lose. Parts are available from any Honda dealer; here's where to find one: Find A Honda Dealer

Attachments

• HRR rear heigh adjusters bulletin.pdf
    164.1 KB · Views: 75

drjb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here's the bulletin; new adjusters will likely help a great deal. Easy DIY, you do need some snap-ring (circlip) pliers and a little bit of wheel bearing grease. Clean everything and work in a clean area. A few tiny parts that are easy to lose. Parts are available from any Honda dealer; here's where to find one: Find A Honda Dealer

robert@honda - I just wanted to follow up to thank you for posting your insight and the maintenance bulletin! I ordered the adjuster plates and installed them this week. The left rear wheel took me a little over a half hour and the next one was a snap. The wheels don't tilt in now at the lower deck heights and the mower pulls backwards easily. Coupled with new rear wheels, an oil change, and a new spark plug, it's ready for the season.

Thanks again!