HRR216K10VKAA not starting, how does auto choke system go together?

Chris Parman

Threads
  • / HRR216K10VKAA not starting, how does auto choke system go together?
Ok, I'll have to clean it up and have a look. Does it look bad in this picture? I thought maybe it was good but guess I'll have to hunt down an example photo to verify.

View attachment 51056

Here is a page out of the GCV160 shop manual. It illustrates and has steps for proper governor adjustment. Providing the governor lever is not bend these steps should work for you. Also, have another person help you keep the lever secure while tightening down the faster. Here some advice, get a inexpensive RPM gauge off of Amazon and check the RPM, I got one for something like $20. One more thing, if the spring between the governor level and other end is loose, that will give you a false indication that you didn't adjust the governor correctly, when in fact you did. This happened to me and the fast idle was about 2400 RPM and I knew I adjusted the governor level correctly. What I did was slightly shorten one end of the spring and got the fast idle to slightly under 3100 RPM, which is practicality dead on. Now, having said all that if the engine is still surging, it is a Carburetor issue and needs to be rebuilt. There are plenty of videos on tube with respect to rebuilding these Honda small engine carburetors. Typically what happens with these Honda GCV carbs is that the emulsion tube gets clogged and the low idle circuit gets clogged as well. I help this helps.

Attachments

• GCV160_Governor.pdf
    125.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

tadawson

Threads
In the pic to the far left, I think I see a crack at the second bend in (first bend coming from the gov shaft) which is why I suggested you look. Between the small shot and the dirt, I just can't be certain. Sure looks like the tear I would expect from being bent in the direction it was, though . . . In any case, should be obvious in person.

Last edited:

Chris Parman

Threads
In the pic to the far left, I think I see a crack at the secomd bend in (forst bend coming from the gov shaft) which is whyI suggesyed you look. Between the small shot and the dirt, I just can't be certain. Sure looks like the tear I would expect from beingbent in the direction it was, though . . . In any case, should be obvious in person.

tadawson: O, shit you're right. That needs to be corrected first. The spring is not parallel between both ends. That could indeed explain some bad idle characteristics.

Tadawson: I finally found a guy locally who bored and honed my GXV120 block to .050 over. This dude is actually a machinist who is a Honda small engine Master mechanic and has his own machine shop at his house, its freaking awesome. I have a sonic cleaner (Harbor Freight, don't judge :) and cleaned every damn nut, bolt, etc. The insides are squeaky clean (block, sump, crank, Cam, drive assembly, etc. My GXV120 is going to run sweet after I'm finished with it. Here is a video I made for another forum (on Facebook) showing the gear train from a PTO perspective, but it just an illustration, not how it is reassembled. The file is too large, have to provide a URL.

Last edited:
Threads
I really don’t see anything wrong with the governor arm.
@Rivets you rock!

Took a whole 10 minutes to swap the carb out. Started on the first pull and ran for over 4 minutes until I shut it off. Then I started it again and cut the front yard with it. Zero issues now at least to my inexperienced self.

Let me know if I can buy you a case of beer or a few rolls of toilet paper. I would be more than happy to shoot you over a few dollars for your time and knowledge.

Any ideas on how I would service the old one? I'm just curious to learn more about carburetors just in case I ever needed to service one in a pickle. It may be more involved that I am willing to put up with but figured if I break the old one, no biggie.

Threads
Here is a page out of the GCV160 shop manual. It illustrates and has steps for proper governor adjustment. Providing the governor lever is not bend these steps should work for you. Also, have another person help you keep the lever secure while tightening down the faster. Here some advice, get a inexpensive RPM gauge off of Amazon and check the RPM, I got one for something like $20. One more thing, if the spring between the governor level and other end is loose, that will give you a false indication that you didn't adjust the governor correctly, when in fact you did. This happened to me and the fast idle was about 2400 RPM and I knew I adjusted the governor level correctly. What I did was slightly shorten one end of the spring and got the fast idle to slightly under 3100 RPM, which is practicality dead on. Now, having said all that if the engine is still surging, it is a Carburetor issue and needs to be rebuilt. There are plenty of videos on tube with respect to rebuilding these Honda small engine carburetors. Typically what happens with these Honda GCV carbs is that the emulsion tube gets clogged and the low idle circuit gets clogged as well. I help this helps.

Thanks for the info! I didn't see your reply until just now, I must have been on a cached version of the page up. Carb swap and she is running like a beauty! I will still get an RPM gauge to check if it is running at close to the correct RPM or not. Hoping I do not need to do the governor adjustment but will do so if needed (after verifying the arm or what not is OK). Thanks for the tips on the carb rebuild. I plan to look into this and play around with the old one and see if I can't get it working just to gain some XP. This is the most I have ever done on a mower... lol.

Threads
In the pic to the far left, I think I see a crack at the second bend in (first bend coming from the gov shaft) which is why I suggested you look. Between the small shot and the dirt, I just can't be certain. Sure looks like the tear I would expect from being bent in the direction it was, though . . . In any case, should be obvious in person.

Since I had already ordered the carb I went ahead and just swapped it out and good news is she is running great now! At least to me. I was so excited that she is now running that I did not think to look more at the arms. I will clean up the arms and have a better look. I assume since she is running it may not be too bad but I will have a look and check the RPM's too, so that I can learn how this thing works for the future.

Chris Parman

Threads
Thanks for the info! I didn't see your reply until just now, I must have been on a cached version of the page up. Carb swap and she is running like a beauty! I will still get an RPM gauge to check if it is running at close to the correct RPM or not. Hoping I do not need to do the governor adjustment but will do so if needed (after verifying the arm or what not is OK). Thanks for the tips on the carb rebuild. I plan to look into this and play around with the old one and see if I can't get it working just to gain some XP. This is the most I have ever done on a mower... lol.

This happened to me five years ago, a idle surging issue. Five years later, I'm refurbishing older Honda lawn mower models (E,g., HR214 and HR215, because they're plentiful and cheap and have a light aluminum deck) to their original luster. I would say I'm obsessed with Honda lawn mowers. Almost every week I learn something new about Honda mowers.

Threads
This happened to me five years ago, a idle surging issue. Five years later, I'm refurbishing older Honda lawn mower models (E,g., HR214 and HR215, because they're plentiful and cheap and have a light aluminum deck) to their original luster. I would say I'm obsessed with Honda lawn mowers. Almost every week I learn something new about Honda mowers.

Sweet! I'll be happy if I become proficient enough to troubleshoot common problems on my mower but it is a great feeling knowing I fixed something with my own two hands (even if I did need help from the internet lol).

Forgot I took a video. About 1 minute give or take after I pulled the cord.

Chris Parman

Threads
Sweet! I'll be happy if I become proficient enough to troubleshoot common problems on my mower but it is a great feeling knowing I fixed something with my own two hands (even if I did need help from the internet lol).

Forgot I took a video. About 1 minute give or take after I pulled the cord.

That sounds spot on there guy :)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No need to send anything, as there are about 5 other great techs on this forum who would have told you the same as I did. Just got lucky this time. Glad to hear that you got it going, thank you for letting us know, as most times we never hear back.