HRC 216 wheel issue

rainman1442

Threads
I have an HRC 216 and the wheel adjuster in the front has become difficult to adjust. The bar that runs between the two front wheels moves up and down as I adjust the wheels. On my other HRC 216, the bar does not move when adjusting wheels. I checked the wheel...it was tight. I removed the wheel and checked the bolt that attaches the adjuster to the frame and it was tight too. I'm not sure what is causing the problem. Does anyone have suggestions or have had similar problem?
Thanks.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have an HRC 216 and the wheel adjuster in the front has become difficult to adjust. The bar that runs between the two front wheels moves up and down as I adjust the wheels. On my other HRC 216, the bar does not move when adjusting wheels. I checked the wheel...it was tight. I removed the wheel and checked the bolt that attaches the adjuster to the frame and it was tight too. I'm not sure what is causing the problem. Does anyone have suggestions or have had similar problem?
Thanks.

There are different adjusters depending on which exact HRC216 you have...let's start by getting the serial number off the back of the mower deck. I can share some troubleshooting and illustrations that should help...

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

rainman1442

Threads
Thanks for replying.

The model # is HRC2163HXA and serial number is MAKA 1077993

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for replying.

The model # is HRC2163HXA and serial number is MAKA 1077993

First, there was a Service Bulletin issued in late 2011, and your mower is in the affected range. The issue is just the opposite of what you describe, and the bulletin is about front adjusting plates that are too LOOSE, and can jump to different settings. The fix is to replace with new-style adjusting plates, Part Number 42951-VK6-801,

Next, it is probably best to disassemble the entire front end and then clean, inspect, lubricate and re-assemble, replacing any obviously damaged or worn parts; here's a page from the shop manual to get you started:
hrc216k3hxafrontwheels_zps34649a3b.jpg

Use general purpose axle grease (but not too much) where indicated...this is an important step!

rainman1442

Threads
Thanks for the info Robert.

I'll explore both options and see if I can get it resolved.

Tim