HRA216 continues to pull forward after lever is released

giovanni1

Threads
  • / HRA216 continues to pull forward after lever is released
This machine has the 2 speed transmission. I have noticed that every once and a while the drive system will continue to pull forward for a second or two after the handle is released. It does not happen every time the handle is released, it may happen once in a span of 20 minutes of use.

I have attempted to let off on the adjuster thinking that it was too tight. This did not solve the problem. Otherwise, the drive system seems to pull just fine.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks

olgeezershonda

Threads
Have you tried lubing the cable? Any kinks in the cable that might cause it to bind?

giovanni1

Threads
Hi, do you mean at the cable ends? Using maybe WD40? Or is there a better way?

olgeezershonda

Threads
Yes but at the top so gravity pulls the lube downward. Once a year or so I spray some silicone into the cable housing up near the controls. I give it few good shots then move the levers back and forth to help work the lube down the housing. One of them might have a black rubber grommet for weather sealing so just move it up the cable a bit to open up the housing. I wouldn't use WD40 as it dries out over time and gets sticky.

olgeezershonda

Threads
I also do bicycle repair and found Muc-Off dry* lube for bikes works quite well too. It goes on wet but dries to prevent dust from sticking. Its not an aerosol so you just drip a few drops it into the cable opening. Works well on anything that you don't want dust sticking to. But its not water resistant so there are better lubes if you mow in the rain.

Last edited:

giovanni1

Threads
Thanks, will give it a try.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't use WD 40 it reacts with nylon , makes it go soft & sticky
Some of these cables use nylon covered inner wire .
Kerro ( parrafin to some ) will work to free up a clogged cable .
Lubing cables with push bike gear cable lube is a very good idea like Olgee sugested, I use Tri-Lube , similar stuff .

giovanni1

Threads
Hi guys, I gave what was suggested a try. No luck. Still gripping and pulling forward on occasion.

What I dont understand is that it is only once and a while. But sometimes in a dangerous spot!!

Cable seems to move up and down freely. Could it be something at the transmission? Maybe the other end of the cable where it attaches?

olgeezershonda

Threads
I have an HRA215SX with a 3 speed tranny. Not sure of the exact differences between yours and mine but a while back I couldn’t shift out of first. Removed the deck’s rear access panel and there was quite a bit of old grass packed in the cavity. Cleaned it all out and now it shifts in to all gears again. Maybe old grass is causing problems for you as well only in a different way? Don’t know. Just a thought to pass along.

Last edited: