HR214 SM s/n 1045737

BubbaBob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Picked this up for a parts donor but now thinking about making it my working mower.

It was listed as a "does not run" and paid $25.

Did not change or add any fuel.
Would not start with either.
No spark - removed coil and cleaned rust off of magneto surfaces, I did not check resistance. Spark now exists.
Started with ether but would not sustain.
Drained all fuel from system and added fresh fuel.
Started with air filter off and able to sustain with an occasion shot of ether. Squirted in carb cleaner a few times and RPM slowed to almost stall then increased in strength.
Now able to maintain running condition.
A week later engine started on 3rd pull.

Unable to change engine speed - cable is stuck and I applied penetrating oil, manually moving linkage will not change speed - carb needs cleaning?

Blade engages but with the blade unengaged it makes a sound that I can only describe as being like a large ball bearing that is bad. I figure some rust on the clutch mechanism scraping as this sound disappears when blade is engaged.

Tranny - only getting the high speed. No more room for cable adjustment. Cable doesn't seem to move much. The tranny seems strong - tested it by pulling back hard when tranny engaged.

Some other issues - the back panel of the deck is quite pitted, the electric start has the battery connectors cut off and removed - battery missing, the key and switch are still there. The blade is shot - I've only seen pictures of the trailing wing edge worn away like this - it's actually sharp!!!

On the positive side. The engine sounds very good when running, oil was low and a bit black when I bought it, but it did register on the dipstick. I've already got a spare blade so I'm thinking with the cost of a couple of cables, air filter and a carb cleaning this machine is going to run. I do plan on a compression test before I spend any money on it. It's got a low serial number so I'm guessing it's a Japanese made mower and pretty old.

I bought it for parts for my mother-in-law's HR214 SX. Tires, mulching plug, spare parts - so if that's all I get out of it that's ok.

Comments, suggestions, constructive criticisms welcome. I'll post updates and some more pics as I move along.

Bob

(a pic is posted on the intro thread)