Howdy. Intek 17.5 hp pushrod broken

wiredgeorge

Forum Newbie
Threads
Owner of an Ariens lawn tractor with B&S 31R907-0018-G1 engine. Mower was acting like the valves needed adjustment and was going to check to see if the pin on the camshaft was in place. Tried to start prior and the engine spun freely so taking off the valve cover noted that rocker arm was flopping around on the intake valve. Pulled out the aluminum pushrod and it was broken in two. The plastic guide was a bit chewed up as well. Have a new plate with the guides on the way as well as new pushrods (both intake and exhaust). The broken rod appears deformed (crushed all around) where it broke. When I get it back together will check to see if the compression release pin is in place but until then, I am concerned about the deformed pushrod and why it broke. Also, are there torque specs for the bits I will remove and replace? pushrod2.2.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The aluminum pushrod on the Briggs Intek since it rubs on the guide wears in two.

wiredgeorge

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just received my new pushrods and pushrod guide plate (all B&S OEM) and wonder why they use the aluminum for the intake and steel for the exhaust since the intake tend to wear/break. Any ideas?

wiredgeorge

Forum Newbie
Threads
The pushrod guide plate on my mower had the intake side plastic bit was a bit chewed up and probably contributed to the problem. Replaced the aluminum intake pushrod and the guide plate and all is good again. Thanks for the help.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
The pushrod guide plate on my mower had the intake side plastic bit was a bit chewed up and probably contributed to the problem. Replaced the aluminum intake pushrod and the guide plate and all is good again. Thanks for the help.
Glad you got it fixed.