How to tell if pto switch is bad?

ibike2

Forum Newbie
Threads
How can I tell if my pto switch is bad? I have a Hustler Rapture SD 54". I gave it a wash job after moving. I was putting it up and tried out the pto came on for couple of seconds and just stopped. checked fuse it was good replaced any how just in case. still pto not engaging. Wondering if switch my be bad. Still under warranty but it would be just as easy to take switch to dealer as have them come and pick up mower.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Manuals

You probably knocked a connection loose if you hosed it down. Check all pto electrical connections making sure they are tight and secure. If that doesn't fix it check all electrical connections. Suggestion, do not use water on electrical parts, use a blower then wipe it down, same goes for engine, wipe it down. With all the electrical high tech. components they install on a piece of equipment, relays, high tech. circuitry, etc., water is it's #1 enemy.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
They won't hand you a new switch just guessing what is wrong, especially under any warranty. And if you were to
go poking/splicing/rigging on it, that too would negate any warranty.

They will charge you to come out and pick up the mower/ not warranty...

If they do come get it, leave out the tidbits about you washing the mower.

For future reference, dirt, grass, leaves don't do any harm, unless packed into cooling fins. Now water from a hose or pressure washer, cause all kinds of troubles......

ibike2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I took the pto switch to the dealer, handed me a new one no charge. Got home did not fix the problem. Some part of the switch works, if you are not seated with pto switch pulled still shuts off. But blades still not turning.
Called dealer they will be picking up mower tomorrow and bringing me another until issue gets resolved.

Graydills

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I took the pto switch to the dealer, handed me a new one no charge. Got home did not fix the problem. Some part of the switch works, if you are not seated with pto switch pulled still shuts off. But blades still not turning.
Called dealer they will be picking up mower tomorrow and bringing me another until issue gets resolved.
What ended up being the problem I’m having the same type issues with my mower

graydog

Threads
Manuals

You probably knocked a connection loose if you hosed it down. Check all pto electrical connections making sure they are tight and secure. If that doesn't fix it check all electrical connections. Suggestion, do not use water on electrical parts, use a blower then wipe it down, same goes for engine, wipe it down. With all the electrical high tech. components they install on a piece of equipment, relays, high tech. circuitry, etc., water is it's #1 enemy.
This is VERY good advice. My sentiments exactly. Water is your equipments worst enemy. Also, one of the worst things you can do is cover a piece of equipment with a piece of plastic or a tarp if it is setting on a dirt floor even inside a building. Moisture comes up from the ground & is trapped under the plastic cover causing extensive damage.

The Chairman

Threads
How can I tell if my pto switch is bad?
A simple DVOM will tell identify a bad switch quickly. Don't know how to use one? YouTube has a gajillion videos on that. Remove the wires connected to the switch. Put the DVOM on Ohms. Touch the DVOM leads together to see how it looks going from high to low. Off, it should be nigh on to infinite (like if the leads weren't touching). On, it should be next to nothing (like if the leads were touching).

I've never seen any washer, especially just a hose, that would disconnect electrical connections. However, water can let the magic smoke out of anything electrical, so be careful where you spray.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Under a tarp it is called corrosion
Copper brass brass copper galvanic cell at every plug
Stress potential on every formed brass connector
Water is the mowers worst enemy
Then there is cold water getting drawn int hot sealed bearings
The battery connection 4 or even 5 different alloys plus an unseled power cable of fine wire that wicks water under the insulation due to capillary action so the main power feed ends up corroded through in 50 places but will Ohm up as good til you try and pull 50 amps through it.