How to Set Idle

kbowley

Threads
Check your throttle cable and ensure that it is going all the way to the stop when the throttle is all the way down. Read the section regarding the governor arm setting. Most of them you loosen the governor arm on the shaft, move the arm to wide open position while rotating the shaft with a pair of linesman pliers counterclockwise while holding the arm to full speed .

LSU-Mike

Threads
Thanks for all the replies. I found the section in the manual related to adjustments for the governor, idle, choke, etc. I'll tackle it this coming week.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If your ears can accurately tell RPS’s, you have better hearing and have worked on more engines than 99.9% of the mechanics on the earth. Buying cheap most often results in buying twice. Some auto parts store have a free loaner program.
Guess I've always listened to mowers and such. Over time can tell fast or slow. I can tell if one is giving the gundy or not.

Agree on buying cheap. Most of us don't have repair shops and might not use said tool daily. I still have a fleabay tach with the inductive wire you wrap around the plug wire. She keeps on working.

5eds1

Forum Newbie
Threads
When setting the governor it says to rotate shaft counter clockwise and the lever clockwise. The shaft is spring loaded so when you rotate it and hold, be sure you go all the way to the end of the spring load and hold, then tighten lever nut. This will fix your throttle problem.