How to rid the yard of moss

deminin

Threads
We've had a rather mild and damp Winter. Now the yard is showing patches of Moss....some of which are quite large. As soon as warm weather arrives, I'm going to try to attack that stuff. Has anyone had success with making/treating their yard with any of the "homemade" remedies that show up on the Internet....Ferrous Sulfate, Vinegar, etc., etc.??? Or, has anyone had success with any of the brands of Moss Killer available at stores like Lowe', Menard's, Home Depot? If so, which brand? This is a new problem for me, so I'd like to do it once, and be done. .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will never be done with it.
There are thousands of moss spores in every breath you take.
All they need is the right micro environment to start growing .
You can temporarly kill it off but every time the conditions are right it will germinate again.
If the soil is wet and remains wet then some sub soil drainage will work.
Or a mulch that is very free draining so it is dry on the top .
OR plant something very dense to crowd the moss out
If the ground gets no direct sunlight due to canopy shade then you can open out the tree canopy

Or make it into a feature and add some ferns to create a cool garden .

greg12z

Forum Newbie
Threads
bertsmobile1, that's actually a valid point. Talking of all this stuff, which is related to backyard and lawn maintenance, I've discovered pretty nice and informative resource here called lawn care base where they have collected pretty awesome articles and comparison tables, which can help in choosing lawn mower, simply comparing their functionality, pricing, etc.

Last edited:

Lawn Care IQ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lawn care is necessary in our life, it will always be a pleasure to look at a well cleaned and cared lawn. If you need any kind of services regarding your Lawn, <deleted link> is the best option for you. Want to get rid of moss visit their website or contact them , they are PROFESSONALS!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Born2Mow

Threads
In Georgia, moss only grows in excessive shade where grass refuses to grow. Even grasses listed as "shade tolerant" need several hours of sunlight.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are going to put a link into a reply, it should be relevent and cleary defined as a link
Using the forum as a sneaky way to advertise is a no no
You are welcome to advertise & I understand the fees are quite reasonable

As for the problem of Moss, it is mostly between peoples ears who seem to think that what they want to grow has to grow where they want it to because that is what they want , or think they want .
Done lots of fern gardens in places where moss grew , add a bird bath & perhaps a frog pond & it becomes a very low maintenance feature , add a table & a few chairs and a nice place for a few beer on a hot day.