How to remove pulley on my troybilt 13wx79kt011

Johncrawley1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. Question here if anyone can help:
I have a troybilt riding mower model #13wx79kt011 and I’m trying to replace the drive belt. There’s a pulley underneath the battery that must come off to install the new belt. In all of the videos that I’ve watched on how to change the belt that pulley ha a hole in the top, offset from the nut to simply put a punch or screwdriver to hold the wheel from turning while you remove the nut on top. However, my mower has a plastic fan on top and no such hole. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to take the pulley off because if I turn the nut it spins around with no purchase point to hold the wheel to get that off. Can anyone advise on how this is done? I’ll try to attach a photo.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have a hydrostatic drive so it is not necessary to remove the drive e and in fact you can not do it for all intents & purposes with the transmission in the mower .
You loop the belt around the shaft between the upper & lower front pulleys then around the transmission then back into the drive pulley then around the clutching pulleys.
A lot easier than it sounds.
Slide the left side of the belt loop between a blade on the left side of the fan then rotate the fan and it will feed the belt in
Make sure the belt is in the pulley V between the pulley and the belt guide plate .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It takes the speed of an impact to remove the fan nut but the nut is not on there that tight. If drive had gotten off the v-pulley and ran between it and the fan then fan will probably need replacing too. I just did a Cub Cadet last week where the drive completely destroyed the fan before it quit moving. After nut is remove the nut, retainer, and fan comes off and then drive pulley can be slipped up, the belt install, and then while holding the belt around the pulley its is back in place. Of course the fan retainer and nut needs reinstalling. But first finish install the drive belt so it tension can aid in the tightening of the fan retaining nut.

Just a side note Bert these LT hydros has a very tight to pulley three sided belt retainer. Although you can squeese the belt pass these retainers, it is not good on the belt.

The fan pn is 731-06098 through your MTD parts supplier for around 12.50 USD retail.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And before someone asks. The nut is right handed threaded.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It takes the speed of an impact to remove the fan nut but the nut is not on there that tight. If drive had gotten off the v-pulley and ran between it and the fan then fan will probably need replacing too. I just did a Cub Cadet last week where the drive completely destroyed the fan before it quit moving. After nut is remove the nut, retainer, and fan comes off and then drive pulley can be slipped up, the belt install, and then while holding the belt around the pulley its is back in place. Of course the fan retainer and nut needs reinstalling. But first finish install the drive belt so it tension can aid in the tightening of the fan retaining nut.

Just a side note Bert these LT hydros has a very tight to pulley three sided belt retainer. Although you can squeese the belt pass these retainers, it is not good on the belt.

The fan pn is 731-06098 through your MTD parts supplier for around 12.50 USD retail.
Unless there is another mower with that funny sort of dish belt retainer I have done a couple as described.
Don't remember the belt being squeezed all that tight , then I don't remember what I had for breakfast & some times forget to put pants on when I check the mail .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes some are tighter than others. The CC I did there was less than 30% of the belt thickness available and I wasn't going risk destroying a 45 usd belt. Besides it is not that hard to remove the fan. I rather do it than bang up my fingers trying to get the belt on the hard way. And I had belts to get cut by trying squeeze them on.

It like those techs that like to bend the retainers at the engine instead simply unbolting the engine when the drive pulley is stuck on. They risk breaking the retainer and/or damaging the pulley.

But as it is said "There is more than one way to skin a cat.".

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Don't remember the belt being squeezed all that tight , then I don't remember what I had for breakfast & some times forget to put pants on when I check the mail .
And I really need think of that image. It might be worst that those Shaun pants which I have still haven't got of my mind.

electech2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just work in reverse. Put the belt on the transmission pulley under the fan first and then thread it through or around the other pulleys. The motor pulley is retained by a bolt through the center and a key in the shaft. It probably won't need to be removed, but it is still easier and saver than working around, or breaking, the plastic fan.