How to re-install the guard springs on a Honda Harmony?

MacBulldog

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / How to re-install the guard springs on a Honda Harmony?
I had to do this on my Honda HRX217TDA after one of the push nuts came off after 14 years of reliable service! I did this reinstall of the tension springs by myself and followed the advice to install the springs first prior to the retaining rod. Working alone I could only take two photos showing the springs mounted in the discharge guard (with no rod) then the setting of the guard in its proper position in the mower base and then installing the rod with the press nut on one end. The rest is just pushing the rod all the way through (slowly) the springs to the opposite side then install the remaining push nut. I will try to upload the photos but haven’t ever done that on this forum’s site so it may take me a while to figure it out. Happy American Independence Day!

psuhammer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there. I just came across this forum as this is my specific issue. I have a few replacement springs and nuts for the rod. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to install the springs so there is tension on the guard flap to close down. No Youtube videos show this.

In the picture below, the "hook" on that spring needs to twist down and underneath and inserted into a small slit on the mower frame. This creates the tension to close the flap. My issues is I don't have the finger room or way to pinch open that flap and get it inserted.
Could someone help a brother out???

spring.png

1626621591610.png

Last edited:

psuhammer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had to do this on my Honda HRX217TDA after one of the push nuts came off after 14 years of reliable service! I did this reinstall of the tension springs by myself and followed the advice to install the springs first prior to the retaining rod. Working alone I could only take two photos showing the springs mounted in the discharge guard (with no rod) then the setting of the guard in its proper position in the mower base and then installing the rod with the press nut on one end. The rest is just pushing the rod all the way through (slowly) the springs to the opposite side then install the remaining push nut. I will try to upload the photos but haven’t ever done that on this forum’s site so it may take me a while to figure it out. Happy American Independence Day!

My issue is there isn't enough finger room to "pinch" the spring to insert one end onto the mower while simultaneously inserted in the guard flap hole. Even without the rod, it seems practically impossible. I have tried pliers, a coat hanger hook, etc.

psuhammer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update:

I took it to a local hardware store and it took three of us to carefully bend the springs. THere was no way I could have done that myself. Poor design!!

Yonko

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update:

I took it to a local hardware store and it took three of us to carefully bend the springs. THere was no way I could have done that myself. Poor design!!
I had the same problem but was able to reinstall the springs by myself in short order once I found out how to do it. One clip came off the rod and all of a sudden the chute would not operate as it should. Honda should have a video to show how to reinstall the springs. First of all, the two ends of the spring are not the same - one is longer than the other. The short end goes into the slot on the chute and the long end goes into the small plastic space on the mower itself. I positioned one spring (short end) into the chute and as I recall, flipped the chute over (held short end so it didn't fall out) then inserted the rod through the first spring and took a needle-nose plier and grabbed the longer end and put tension on it as I inserted it into the small plastic space on the mower. There was enough wiggle room to allow me to do the same with the other spring and finally inserted the rod through the mower and perhaps wiggled the springs so the rod would go through the whole way. Probably took me about 5 minutes once I figured it out.

Glassmatter

Forum Newbie
Threads
This thread helped me get mine back together. We had lost a push nut and I noticed that both springs were not engaged. I took the guard off completely and removed the rod. When you look at the gray part of the mower you will notice two little resin pockets. They might be full of grass. :) Clean them out. Keep the rod out. Insert one end of the spring into one of these pockets - spring is still in the guard. Easier to do for me when the guard was almost closed. Move to the other spring and do the same. Insert the rod and add the push nuts back on.

Attachments

• IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 12