how to get your clients to sign contracts

jeffery9076

Threads
Anyone have any ideas I would appreciate the help to get my current customer base to sign contracts.:thumbsup:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Anyone have any ideas I would appreciate the help to get my current customer base to sign contracts.:thumbsup:

How many current customers do you have and why would you want to put them under contract?

jeffery9076

Threads
I have 35 now but probably 45 to 50 at the start up/ I got rid of 12 last year that were a pain. The reason is if I decide to sell and get out it will be easier to sell. This is my 4th year in the lawn care field as a owner but have about 20 years in or should I count mowing my own lawn :laughing:LOL.:laughing: Just thinking ahead after hurting myself a day before mothers day rolling ,dragging and spitting myself out after going over a jump about 45 mph on a 4 wheeler. OUCH IT hurt messed up my and leg, hip,ankle and thank god I had a helmet on BETTER NOW

Threads
You would have to offer them a deal most of the time to show them it would be to their benifit. You might have to take a little hit on your cost but you would have them all season for sure. I have had a few that will not sign one, and still wont today.

jeffery9076

Threads
thanks for the reply wjjones. That's what I was thinking along those lines. I am not worried about them leaving just in case something happens to me coming up on the 45 year young mark and thinking different these days.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
thanks for the reply wjjones. That's what I was thinking along those lines. I am not worried about them leaving just in case something happens to me coming up on the 45 year young mark and thinking different these days.

Be honest and tell them what you told us. Either they will understand or not

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have 35 now but probably 45 to 50 at the start up/ I got rid of 12 last year that were a pain. The reason is if I decide to sell and get out it will be easier to sell. This is my 4th year in the lawn care field as a owner but have about 20 years in or should I count mowing my own lawn :laughing:LOL.:laughing: Just thinking ahead after hurting myself a day before mothers day rolling ,dragging and spitting myself out after going over a jump about 45 mph on a 4 wheeler. OUCH IT hurt messed up my and leg, hip,ankle and thank god I had a helmet on BETTER NOW

If the reason your trying to put your clients under contract is for the sale or your business I don't think I'd worry to much about it because it's not going to mean anything to a buyer and the contracts upon sale will most likely be void anyway. The problem for a potential or perspective buyer in purchasing a client list or entire business is that he will not retain the clients on the list under contract or not and that some may not be a good match for him the buyer. Because of such risk in client retention, the best deal for a buyer in purchasing a client list and or business is to pay you the seller a percentage of the revenues from clients who continue with the business for a specified period of time. Ideally the payout percentages you should look for should be something like 15% to 25% over three to five year period.

jeffery9076

Threads
Thanks for your reply Ric so your saying I have to trust another lawn care provider to show do the work do it right and have customer retention and wait up to 3 to 5 years to get my money in full. I think that's good for the buyer *ell for the seller. My opinion is this I would never just sell to anyone if I did sell. I would work with the guy for a while to work him into the trust position and a reliability a customer can see and I could see. My opinion I have not seen a true professional lawn care owner yet. If I was that good I would have workers. I have contacted 2 other companies up for sale 1 did not no how many clients he had or weekly /biweekly. Just kept saying I think 38 clients $38,000 a year 4 to 5 push mowers 2 cub cadet walk behinds. And asking $14,000 OBO. He hung up on me after I said send me a email with amount of clients and weekly and biweekly mows general area they are in. And that you will have to go with me to meet all clients. SLAM went the phone. The other guy gave me the list but I think about half are under bid and biweekly and monthlys and a lot of only weed wacking jobs. And he only has worked it 2 1/2 months at the end of last season. No contact with clients thru out the winter 60 total clients no equipment and $16,000. Or $8000 down the rest in payments not discussed for a total of $20,000 that way. He said he can make $38,000 a year to from clients but only worked it a little and ready to get out. THROWS UP SOME ?????????????????

A

AmericanTurf

It's easy. When a new customer calls me, I show up with a blank contract form. I write in there name, address, number and a description of work to be done. I sign and date it then have them sign and date the contract. They keep the white copy, I keep the yellow copy.
I would NOT conduct any work on any PROPERTY unless I have a signed contract.