How often do you recommend fertilizing?

arslant001

Threads
Hi experts, can anyone suggest to me How often should I fertilize my plants?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Depends on a lot of factors. First are potted or in ground ones? I usually do my plants around the yard once or twice a year. A couple light applications are better for the plants as there is less of a chance of burning them.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you have a yard that has dirt spots? Places where you are trying to get the grass to fill in? If so monthly with as much N, P and K as you can afford.

Are you just maintaining a healthy lawn? Once a month sounds good with a light app.

You can dump 46-0-0 on Bermuda WEEKLY and not have an issue. Other than that you will be mowing your butt off.

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
hard to answer that question. Have you done any soil tests? Are they in ground or potted. Indoors or outside. How much does it rain there a year and when. Make a list of the plants and answer those questions, that would be a better way to get an accurate answer. If trees are involved are they fruit trees or shade? How large are the trunks in diameter?

arslant001

Threads
Depends on a lot of factors. First are potted or in ground ones? I usually do my plants around the yard once or twice a year. A couple light applications are better for the plants as there is less of a chance of burning them.
Thank you so much for your suggestion.

arslant001

Threads
hard to answer that question. Have you done any soil tests? Are they in ground or potted. Indoors or outside. How much does it rain there a year and when. Make a list of the plants and answer those questions, that would be a better way to get an accurate answer. If trees are involved are they fruit trees or shade? How large are the trunks in diameter?
No, I don't do any soil tests yet. They are on the ground outside. The state receives an average of 56 inches (1,400 mm) of rainfall each year.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Best thing for ALL soils is/are beneficial microbes/bacteria I think they are called. They are tiny little guys that work IN the soil to make the soil grow items. They convert urea (nitrogen) into a plant usable source.

My story - Turf always struggles to grow grass. Hard clay soil, not much of a root system to grow grass. I would fertilize and the turf would look better for a few weeks then flop again. Struggle to fill in holes, spread and such.

Stumbled onto a product called Bio S.I. It puts living beneficial microbes/bacteria into the soil with a hose end sprayer.

Long story short, it was like I fertilized all year but did NOT. Grass started spreading and filling in, looking good and healthy. Saved an entire year of fertilizer cost, labor and more chemicals building up in my turf.

I would call the Bio SI guys and ask your own questions. Think they are out of Texas.

1651241096466.png

Norma_G

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi experts, can anyone suggest to me How often should I fertilize my plants?

Where you live, the size of your lawn, the variety of plants you have, the time of year, and several other factors all play a part in determining how often to fertilize your plants. Generally, there are two types of fertilizer: Organic and Synthetic. Each type of fertilizer performs best under specific circumstances, and neither is ideal in every situation. Suppose you are going to apply fertilizer to plants. In that case, you must understand the proper application techniques. It is always good to consult a property maintenance team before making any major decisions, particularly regarding something as important as your lawn.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
do a soil test first. Then you will know what is needed. Soils vary, so do climates, so do grasses. This is my schedule in the Sacramento area per 1000 sq ft. You need to know what amounts of each mineral are needed. My schedule is based on the last soil test in mid-May. I use Waypoint Analytical in Memphis TN. About 20 a test and that includes N recommendations. Each number on the fertilizer is the percentage of that element per 100 lbs. So a 21-7-15 fertilizer is 21% Nitrogen, 7% Phosphorous, and 15% Potassium. Different fertilizers have different percentages of the element.

May 28, 5 lbs Yara 21-7-15 and 1 lb of potash
July 1 – done 5 lbs of Yara 21-7-15 and 1 lb 48% K prills. Equal to about 1 lb of N and 1 lb of K
August 15 - prefer soil test again about August 8.
September 15
October 15
December 1
January 15
March 1
April 15
May 15
repeat

Attachments

• soil.jpg
    soil.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 5

bkeller500

Threads
Best thing for ALL soils is/are beneficial microbes/bacteria I think they are called. They are tiny little guys that work IN the soil to make the soil grow items. They convert urea (nitrogen) into a plant usable source.

My story - Turf always struggles to grow grass. Hard clay soil, not much of a root system to grow grass. I would fertilize and the turf would look better for a few weeks then flop again. Struggle to fill in holes, spread and such.

Stumbled onto a product called Bio S.I. It puts living beneficial microbes/bacteria into the soil with a hose end sprayer.

Long story short, it was like I fertilized all year but did NOT. Grass started spreading and filling in, looking good and healthy. Saved an entire year of fertilizer cost, labor and more chemicals building up in my turf.

I would call the Bio SI guys and ask your own questions. Think they are out of Texas.

View attachment 60329
I was just looking at this product ( BioS.I. ) last week but couldn't find many testimonials and couldn't find a application rate ( Oz / gal water / 1000 sf) . Can you share what your application rate is? My story is very similar to yours and I have about a acre to cover.