How much can we tow?

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
My fiancé and I have a Subaru Impreza (2006) and I was wondering how much you guys think we would be able to tow with it? We are going to be moving soon, and I'm just trying to think ahead.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
OUCH...
Thats a nice all-wheel drive sporty sedan type small car... The main thing it is a SMALL light car.
Not intended to be a towing vehicle. Don;t take a chance of damaging your nice handling sporty car...

If you have a move coming up you can rent a mid size truck, fir not much $$ and easily do your move...
:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My fiancé and I have a Subaru Impreza (2006) and I was wondering how much you guys think we would be able to tow with it? We are going to be moving soon, and I'm just trying to think ahead.

According to my Consumer reports information, your vehicle is capable of towing 2000 pounds IF the trailer has brakes...1000 pounds if not. I am very well informed about towing and can tell you even a small utility or box trailer will tax your vehicle to the limit. My 6X12 ALUMINUM utility open trailer weighs 750 pounds, I can tow it with either the GMC in my avatar, or with my '04 Saturn L-300, which has a tow rating of 1000 pounds, but the tow rating limits me to a load of no more than a few hundred pounds in the trailer at most. A steel utility or box trailer the size of mine would weigh well over 1000 pounds, and trailers with brakes are usually heavier duty than than mine and weigh upwards of 1500 pounds themselves. To tow with your Subaru you would need a hitch installed, that would be $150 to $200. Then you need a light wiring harness installed to operate the trailer lighting, and that would be another $50-75. Trailer rental would be $20-30 per day, more if one way (not returning to the rental location)

Do moving of small stuff with your car, and for the bigger items rent a cargo van or 14-16 foot box truck for a day or two. You can do an unbelievable amount of damage to a car trying to pull more weight than it is designed to haul. Feel free to ask queries if you need more info.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Your Subaru has ample power to move more than the rated 2000 pound trailer with brakes, it is the driveline and unibody that limit the tow rating. I have an old 1990 six cylinder Ford half ton truck, it has only 150 horsepower yet can tow a 6500 pound trailer, because the transmission and rear axle are heavy duty and the body is separate from the full frame underneath. My Saturn weighs 1500 pounds less than my pickup (3400 vs 4900) and has 181 horsepower but will only tow 1000 pounds because the front transaxle isn't very strong and the unit body and brakes are only strong enough for an additional half ton of weight. I have pulled a ton of weight in my trailer a few times using the Saturn (2750 pounds trailer and cargo total) and it had more than ample power to move it. Yet braking was very poor, and I only went short distances on level ground. I do NOT recommend exceeding the factory tow rating with any vehicle, do as I say, not as I do....:biggrin:

Harriet

Threads
Have you checked your owner's manual? It would most likely tell you specifically what your particular model is capable of towing. It's no cost savings if you tow too much weight and goof up your car.